Do you share the names of your best places?

Travel discussion for St. John

Do you share your very best rental finds on travel forums?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:00 pm

Yes, the owner has done a great job and I want to help get the word out for them.
96%
No, I don't want to contribute to having my favorite place booked solid the next time I am planning a trip.
4%

Total votes: 23

Steve S

Do you share the names of your best places?

Post by Steve S »

This is a tricky question that I probably risk getting booed off the forum, but are there others amongst us that hesitate sharing the names of their very best rental villas/places? Sometimes I'd like to plug super owners/agencies for there places, but the other side of me doesn't want to see those availability charts fill up too fast for next year.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

There are so many great places to rent that if the one I want is booked, I will rent something else. I think that the only way to find out was a villa is truly like is to get a first hand report. It is a shame not to share.

Not sharing the information with others is kinda like taking the best playground toy and hiding it so no one else knows it is there. Not really a whole lot of fun to have the best toy and no one to play with.
patr

Post by patr »

Of course I share. Isn't that the whole idea of this forum, after all?

It it were not for the forum I would be spending my vacations on St Thomas or (GASP) a cruise ship. :shock:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
RickG

Post by RickG »

We like to sample different villas and book well ahead. We usually book the villa first. No impact from bragging about a great place - that'really what it is, bragging!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

Steve, just wanted to say the new avatar is great! Loved that picture in your report!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I never hesitate to share great villas or information about folks who make our trip better on the forum - car rental, good restaurants, dive operators, etc.

So often we hear negatives so I think its great when people make a point to thank good service providers!

That said, I never book the same villa twice - even if it were fabulous - until I have worked through ALL of them I am a no repeats kind of girl!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've always loved to share villa info and will continue to do so. However, since my travel mates often prefer to stay walking distance to Cruz Bay this really limits my playing field. So, if I do find that unique, perfect place in town, I may just keep it under my hat... :wink:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I have no problem sharing, but I also have yet to fall in love with a particular villa so deeply that I'd insist on going back. If that were to happen, maybe I'd change my mind and want to keep it a secret.

I like to try different villas each summer, and there are just so many places to stay that I could stay at a different place for the next 50 years without a repeat. That's part of the fun of it for me...having views and rides to the beach that vary year by year.