Only 1 reason why I won't go to Mexico

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Terry

Only 1 reason why I won't go to Mexico

Post by Terry »

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=23785

I traveled to Mexico so many times Puerta V., Mazatlan, Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo,Ensenada, etc.

It's crazy to go there. Crime is at it's worst.

There are better places to spend my money.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Yeah, it's way nasty down there. I declined a free week at some big fancy hotel in Mexico City because I didn't want to be there. About 3 days after I declined the offer, they found 12 people dead on the side of the road.

That being said, I did go to Puerta Vallarta a couple of years ago, and I'm planning a trip to Cabo in March. We only go to the tourist places and stay in a group. I never felt unsafe, but you'll never find me any deeper into Mexico... probably not even Cancun, these days.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

It's definitely pretty scary down there nowadays. I agree with staying only in the tourist resorts but even those have had their problems in the past 2 years with Cdns ending up dead for inexplicable reasons.

I'm really glad that I did my inland Mexico off the beaten path touring more than a decade ago. As much as I'd love to go back I'm too afraid to go now.
~Brenda~
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I am not going back either. Did you hear about the Texas University kid being murdered on the bus? Now, Mexican authorities are not advising bus travel after 2 PM. It really is out of control there. My concern is for our boarders. It is a very scary environment right now.

XO
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Terry, I along with millions of other Americans and I'm certain millions of Mexicans abhor the violence that has occurred among the drug cartels and in it's wake taken the lives of innocents who where in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm frankly surprised :shock: and disappointed that as a fellow travel professional (quote from you a few weeks ago below) you have made such a blanket statement. The Mexican - US Border is certainly a dangerous area to travel to and or through. Mexico City has had it's share of problems for years. That said, tourists (from all over the world) go to Mexico and find a warm inviting climate, good food, wonderful beaches and some of the nicest people in the world. I can say that in all of my trips to Mexico the people have been welcoming and friendly, something I can't say for a lot of other places I've visited. I presently have a number of clients vacationing in Mexico. They are hundreds of miles to over a thousand miles away from the areas where drug violance is rampant. I have many people who are repeat travelers to Mexico as well.

We have a huge map of the the world in the office I work in and I love showing people when they come in exactly where the trouble spots in Mexico are and where the resort areas are. It's eye opening to many.
Quote from Terry in : Off Topic Forum Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 pm Subject: what is your price limit for lodging?
Coming from being a travel agent for years...best advise is to always, always, always ask for the bests rate. Even do so while checking in. I'll be signing the check in form and say something like , ...
Last edited by Berlingirl on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thank you Berlingirl--we leave for Guadalahara on Saturday and was getting a little nervous....I really do feel safe though, as we will be staying and touring with a local.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

A close friend just returned from a year of living with her husband and ten year old twins in a small city east of Puerto Vallarta. They never felt any fear; indeed, felt the opposite--like they were in the safest place they'd ever lived.

Mexico IS a big country, and granted the news, especially today's news, would make one fear it "in general." But perspective is important.

My husband is from Ireland. I remember years ago, people would start to visit us, and they would express surprise, on their first trips here, that we had trees and parks, that it wasn't all concrete and crime!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Thanks for the "hanging".

It just so happens that the husband that was shot on his jet ski was a close friend of a friend. Our hearts break for them.

Enjoy all that Mexico has to offer. I just choose to spend my money elsewhere, that's all. I find all inclusives there a bit pricey for what you get.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

My heart breaks for the loss of this life! We were in Colorado last week and the coverage of this tragedy was non stop it seemed.

That being said, we were in Mexico in May for the first time in about 4 years. We were close to Akumal and didn't feel any danger or experience any problems. The highway out of Cancun was much more heavily monitored and I didn't especially like seeing all of the large guns. Also when we did use a cab and made a stop along the way, the cab driver always went in with us every place we went. That was something that had never happened before.

We likely won't choose to go back to Mexico for awhile due to now preferring other locations, but if it was a free or really cheap trip to a tourist area, I wouldn't hesitate!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Nic,

We will be in Xcaret for Thanksgiving. How did you transfer back and forth from the airport? I was thinking of booking with a private transfer company.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

The latest on the Jetski Murder case-

"The lead Mexican investigator in the Falcon Lake case, Rolando Armando Flores Villegas, has been killed, his severed head delivered Tuesday in a suitcase to the Mexican military, officials told CNN."

It is scary in Mexico right now. It's not like Terry is way off base for having concerns about travelling there.

I'm sure there are safe places but there are also extremely dangerous places. Just like any place. Like Terry, I would chose to take chances of encountering danger out of my travle-for-pleasure plans. It's why I won't go to Jamaica, stay on St Thomas for an extended amount of time or stay out after 10pm on St John. It's not worth the risk to ruin my vacation.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi Pa Girl,

We used Cancun Valet for our private transfers! SO worth it and I didn't find the price that bad. We used them roundtrip and had perfect service! Enjoy your trip!
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

We will be in Xcaret for Thanksgiving. How did you transfer back and forth from the airport? I was thinking of booking with a private transfer company.
PA Girl: also check out USA Transfers. Top-notch outfit. We used them last year to go from the Cancun airport to Akumal and back and will be using them again next year. Owned by a Canadian named Brant.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I keep seeing both of those names on the TA board and my mom's friend (who works down there) also recommended them.