Spring Break Trip Report with 2 College Girls.. 2

Travel discussion for St. John
cypressgirl

Spring Break Trip Report with 2 College Girls.. 2

Post by cypressgirl »

I have to back up just a bit because I left a little something out. Between leaving Honeymoon Beach and our "goin' out on the town" night, we were starving again. I pull into Mongoose and go to one of my favorite little spots, Deli Grotto, for a quart of chicken salad and a loaf of the most delicious bread that they slice on the spot. We head back to Cruz Views (I got that parking lot DOWN!) for what is promising to be a fab sunset. Jace decides to be the first in the shower, and I tell her "you're going to miss the sunset". She assures me she'll be out in plenty of time. She doesn't realize that once it starts dropping, it goes fast. Michelle and I sit on the deck in awe of God's creation, yelling at Jace "get your a** out here, you're missing it. She missed it.

Did I leave out the part where we leave the Beach Bar and are about to crawl in bed when I realize I never closed out my tab? I'm in my jammies and all of a sudden I say "Oh s**t, I didn't close out my tab." My credit card's still at the Beach Bar. Jace is passed out, but my sturdy daughter is still awake and says she'll go with me to take care of it. We throw on our clothes and quickly return to the same empty parking spot. We walk in (make-up still intack) and acted like we never left. "I need to close out my tab" I say. Took less than a minute and back to bed for that day on the water.

The next day comes way too soon, but not only do we have to meet Stu at the Nat. Park Dock at 9:00, we have to totally pack up and be out of the condo because we are spending our last night on STT due to an early (7:50) flight the next day. So I drag my behind out of bed about 8:00. Pack up everything but the girls themselves, load the car, and fix breakfast which consisted of the 4 slices of that great bread with some cheese someone left in the frig from the trip before, toasted in the oven. It was fantastic!!!
Finally, after much screaming on my part, the girls are ready to go at 8:45. We still had to gas up the car and meet Curtis (the Carib. Villa guy) at the dock to get the house keys and car. We timed it perfectly, and Curtis was there just a few minutes after we double parked. So we haul all our luggage (only carry-on, the only way to go) all the left over booze and beverages which I donated to Stu, and all our gear for the day. We get to the meeting spot just a few minutes before Stu arrives.

So now is the part where I tell you how I found Stu Scott. Months ago I read a post from him on the VINOW site about how he is a minister and loves to get out on the water, and will take tourists out for the day for the price of the boat and he will captain for free. Sounds perfect. I look up Stu's e-mail and ask him if he's still doing that sort of thing and he quickly replied that he has a little sister (13)that will be in on island the same week and would I like to split the cost of a boat. I really didn't want to spent 400+ on a boat trip for the 3 of us, so I thought this was perfect and he did to.

Stu shows up this nice looking boat, his little sister, Bailey, and his DJ friend Eric. Us girls are a little green around the gills, but we know it's going to be a great day.

It was REALLY choppy that day. I'm surprised the girls didn't toss their cookies, but they were fine. Bailey and I sat in the back of the boat because it didn't seem as rough. Actually Stu said he needed more weight in the back so I volunteered, knowing I could solve the problem for him.

Even though it was not ideal conditions, we had the best time. We made it over to Tortola to Soper's Hole ? (not sure if that name is correct) It is so cute. It reminds me alot of Cruz Bay many years ago. I think I might like to spend a few nights on Tortola.
We then head over to Sandy Spit for a swim. By then I'm ready for a beer. Stu pulls up pretty close to the beach an says "this is what we're going to do". I'm going to pull up as close as I can, then when you jump in, I'm going to immediately put the boat in reverse and anchor down." So I get up and go to the front of the boat and slide my behind off the edge of the front of the boat, only I realize the boat is not backing up. I swim for my life towards the shore. It is one of those open under the middle kind of boats and all I could think about was that spinning motor. The girls jump in after me laughing so hard. I say "What's so funny." Michelle says "Mom, you looked like you were going to get sucked right under that boat. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen."
I still don't see the humor. What ever!!

We stayed at Sandy Spit for about and hour. It was so beautiful and a place I'd never seen. There were a few other boats there and several people on the beach, but we stayed in the water. Towards the end of our stay there, a boat pulls up and 2 couples get off and come ashore. One of the women is topless. Why is it always the women that need a shirt that decide to go topless. Everyone else in their party had all their clothes on. So we all gagged and laughted and had one more memory to take home.

Next stop is Jost. Of course we are all hungry again, so it's Foxy's for lunch and drinks. Walking into Foxy's was the best feeling. There is just no place like it. There was a great musician playing island and tourist favorites who was very good. I get in line at the bar and can't decide what I want. Someone talks me into something called a Friggen' Riggin' or something like that. It was quite tasty and I think I had 3. Lunch was a lobster roll that I devoured. The girls had their drinks and lunch, but I don't know what they had. I think lunch and drinks was 100. but whose counting. Stu and Bailey and Eric join us for drinks and lunch and it starts to feel like we're out with friends, not like a tourist boat.

After lunch we head over to White Bay, but instead of stopping at Soggy Dollar, we go to Inn Love(?) Stu knows the owner and we have great service. Eric shows up with shots of some nasty looking substance that he assures us is really great. OHG! Great is not what I would call it. Anyway, we had the best time getting to know our new friends. I asked Stu about the marriage business and found him to me such a genuine, sincere young man that loves what he does. He told me touching stories of weddings that brought him to tears, and others he was less than confident about. If my daughter decides on an island wedding (which she says now she wants to do, over her dad's dead body) I would be proud for Stu Scott to preform the cermony. Stu is the guy on the right.

pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Just love, love, love your report. I have a 16 year old daughter and I just know we will be doing a girls trip like yours in a few years!!
Paula

iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Love your report, Cypressgirl! I'm already thinking about Spring Break 2008---my kids are thinking Mexico but I'm going to have them read this report about Spring Break in St. John.
---Jim
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Now that is just awesome! It really sounds like the three of you are having a great time.

I was wondering in your last post about Stu Scott because I recognized the name from the "other" board (Anthony - yours is much, much better!).

Looking forward to the next installment!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I actually pushed the "submit" button insead of the "preview" button, so I have a few finishing touches. Sorry again to all you English teachers!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I loved the second part of your report!
It looks like I am going to STJ with a fun person who can have a good time. :) We should go on a trip with Stu in November!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Iowaguy: The last time I was in Cancun with my tennis buds about 3 years ago, I could not believe the topless women and gross men in undersized speedos walking the beach in tennis shoes. Yuuuck!!!

I decided then that my husband and I would not be comfortable taking our girls to Cancun, even as older teens.

Tracy: I did find Stu Scott on the "other" site. I could go into more detail, but I'll be polite.

Sea-Nile: We are going to have a BLAST!! I can't wait to meet you and the other ladies.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Your reports and pictures are great! Love the picture of the 3 gals in the back of the boat -- looks like 3 hot teenagers to me!

I'd love to get Captain Stu's email. I'll be on island with a few kids around Bailey's age over New Year's. It would be cool to go boating with him, with or without his sister!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Great trip report (both installments). I think your daugher will never forget what a good trip it was. I have also gone home to bed from the Beach Bar with makeup intact. Funny how that happens.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I was going to include his e-mail on my last bit of my report, but here it is www.usviservices.com I think that is correct. You will love him. Michelle still says he reminds her of her (much older) brother.
That is a major compliment.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Great trip report. I bet the bar you were at on JVD was One Love run by Seddy and his wife Raquel. Very good people. If he did magic tricks, its Seddy.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great report enjoy your time with her she will be gone before you know it.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

What a great trip! I know I said this before but you're a very cool mom- you all will remember that trip forever!
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Why can't my Mom be that liberal? Looks like you had an awesome time :D Your daughter is lucky. That face jewelry though.... The one in the eyebrow always gets to me :roll: I better be careful, I am showing my age!
When will I see St John again?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for sharing your great time with us! it sounds like you had so much fun. Love the sunset picture!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.