Seahorses?

Travel discussion for St. John
lpowmacback

Seahorses?

Post by lpowmacback »

My cousin who used to be in the Navy said he'd once seen seahorses by the Fredericksted pier in St. Croix - but that was many years ago.

Has anyone here seen any seahorses - specifically in the waters around St. John?

Thanks! :D
Peace,

Lisa
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Sea Horses - how cool! I have never seen any, but my grandmother, who lived on Puerto Rico during the 60s, used to see them while snorkeling there.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

We actually found two seahorses last year - on the beach in NJ - and one was alive. It was pretty amazing - I think it may have been the highlight of my summer. I have never seen one in the VI or while snorkeling anywhere else, and I usually do a lot of slow and small kind of stuff looking for just these types of things. I have seen them in the tank at Coral World though! Good luck - let us know if you find any.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
BOATSRUS

Post by BOATSRUS »

We saw one last year on St John...it was floating around in the back wash...I think it was injured or sick, we tried to gently float it back out...it was pretty small, about an inch and 1/2...but really cool...We have them here in NC but you don't find them unless there's been a nor'easter.
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I can't remember off the top of my head, but in the Lonely Plant Dive book, it says there is one particular dive where there are seahorses. I've never seen any in the 5 years I've been diving in the Islands.

Sydney
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've never seen a seahorse either! We've snorkelled the mangroves twice pretty thoroughly--lots of baby fish but no seahorse. I'll have to add this to my "want to see" list, along with the ever elusive (for me, anyway) octopus. This trip I am finding an octopus if I have to stay in the water all day for the entire trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yes, I have heard that is how you find them. And, we have found places with the shells all around on more than one occasion. But, no octopus for us, even though we would stick around for a long time. Hopefully I will have better luck this trip.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Thanks everyone!

While I won't be too hopeful, I'll keep a lookout for one! :wink:

ENJOY!
Peace,

Lisa
CShell1019

Post by CShell1019 »

snorkles

Post by snorkles »

I saw my first octopus early this month at Waterlemon Caye. I was going back to the beach and was in very shallow water. I first thought it was some kind of strange coral. When I was practically on top of it, he started moving his legs out from under him and I don't know who was the most startled....him or me. It will be burned into my mind forever.
MIke

Post by MIke »

We generally see them in Klein Bay over near Ditiff Pt.Little ledge off the beach about 30 yds out.When you're lucky you can catch those and small octopus.Used to be two devil rays that hung out there alot but haven't seen them in a while.