Hale Lani Villa

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Hale Lani Villa

Post by flip-flop »

Does anyone know anything about this villa? I see it is new on the Destination St. John site, not sure if its NEW NEW i.e. too new for reviews or just new to DSJ.

Any opinions?
Knolmom

Hale Lani

Post by Knolmom »

About a month ago I spoke to someone at Destination St John about this villa as we were thinking of renting it this summer or fall. They told me it was an islamd style house and not a new villa. The owners used it themselves for five years and have now decided to rent it. They said it is very nice, but not a huge house if that makes any sense. Maybe they mean the outdoor space.
Hope this helps.
MIke

Post by MIke »

Flip-Flop,

I also talked to DSJ about a month ago and Peggy told me it was really nicer than the the price would lead you to believe.I got the impression it was more of an introductory price.It sure looks nice but it apparently pretty small.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We are slated to stay at Drakes Lookout but I am getting a little bit of cold feet because it seems quite remote --- not typically an issue for me but with the kiddos and gramma along, I am not so sure. Plus Drakes has no a/c and this one does.

It looks nice I just had never heard of it and wondered what the scoop is. More props to Destination St John, as they say its no problem if we want to switch. They are so accommodating and I know I must be SO annoying! Indecisive!

Thank you so much for your input.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We had a good experience with Destination St. John in November. However, their web site really does not do the villas justice with regard to descriptions and photos. You really need to talk to a human to get the scoop on the villas.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

A little more scoop (if anyone is interested) about this house from Destination St. John.

The way the house is set up...it has 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 down stairs. The two upstairs are at opposite ends of the villa and the two downstairs are connected. One room has 2 twins and the other is a King. It will for sure be closer to dining shopping etc. The house was built about 5 years ago for family vacation usage but they never really used it so they decided to start renting now. We have only had 1 renter in it thus far.

I can't DECIDE! Do I want to be in Coral Bay or closer in? Decisions decisions.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Hey there,

I find the look of Hale Lani intriguing - love the Pool! I also think the AC would probably clinch it for me. I don't remember when you are going, but particularly with older folk and kids I would probably want the option of AC for sleeping ... aww, who I am kidding, I'd want the AC for me!! :P
Paula

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If it was me, I would probably switch. The AC would be a big selling point, esp. traveling with the grandma. Plus, the views are really nice from Maria Bluff. We've rented two houses on Maria Bluff and both times were amazed by the views of Pillsbury Sound out to STT. Plus, you'll only be a few minutes on paved roads into Cruz Bay, which will give you more flexibility at night. Drake's Lookout looks really nice too, but given who you are traveling with I'd chose Hale Lani.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I think you all are such reasonable people & we are gonna switch it up! Still a gorgeous house & a pool which is KEY!
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

I think you made the right call. Drake's is very nice but is remote. That, and the road up to Drake's, are the 2 main reasons I would not stay there again. The views though are amazing and Drake's gets a nice cool breeze so not having AC there was not a problem.