Need help with a suggestion

Travel discussion for St. John
njhdrider

Need help with a suggestion

Post by njhdrider »

Have read about Lobsters at St John and was hoping to find out if anyone knows where to go snorkling to get them....

Vince
Ride with Pride BKNJIII
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Pia

Post by Pia »

Good luck :)

Many of the locals will not give up their locations - we still do not have a contact so I will be interested in any answers from other "locals" :wink: :wink:

There are rules that determine the size you are allowed to catch and never females with eggs - here is the info from the NPS and the link for more info:

"Caribbean spiny lobster catch is limited to two per person per day and the carapace (area between head and tail) must be at least 3.5" "

http://www.nps.gov/archive/viis/rules.htm

Pia
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Of all the things that I learned while living on STJ, where to find lobsters was the one I could never find out.

I agree that people are very secretive about their locations.

I wonder if anyone will give up there spots?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

If however you get tired of snorkeling, the Lime Inn does a really nice lobster dinner. Not cheap, but good.

Start off with a appetizer of Mussels Meuiere and ask for lots of bread-- you'll want it to soak up the yummy sauce!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I've seeen them out in Chocolate Hole and in Little Lameshur Bay. I thought there were rules against taking sealife from the shoreline and on the reefs.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My hubby saw them on a night dive with Colette. I know they were out on the East End. I think near Salt pond. I know not super helpful.

Though I would just look not take. If the locals are protective of their locations then there must be a reason.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

You can find them about anywhere were there are lots of rocks. I've seen tons of them! But you can't take them from the National Park, that's for sure. I'd stick to the ones in the store or in the restaurant.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Go on a daysail with Cpt. Clark - Whitewing. Tell him you want to go look for lobsters. He took us diving for lobsters. He caught us a huge one too and cooked it on his boat! He knows where they are and how to catch them...he also knows the "rules" about when and what you can catch.