2 college girls,,,final thoughts and reflections

Travel discussion for St. John
Robin in NC

Enjoyed your reports

Post by Robin in NC »

And I appreciate that you took a moment to address the underage drinking question. This is a "live and let live" forum, and I support your decisions as a parent, because I can tell they're made with love. I did cringe a bit as I read about the frequent drinking, I must admit, now I feel better knowing you gave it thought and kept it under control.

Robin
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Debbie: First, so sorry about the passing of your friend, Laura. Second, loved, loved your trip reports and your final thoughts and reflections. I went with my (almost) 17-year old daughter, (almost) 18-year old niece, their birthdays are in April, and mother at the beginning of March. It was a really special trip and I really enjoyed spending the quality time with my daughter (seems to be rare these days). I'm not in favor of underage drinking either, but I must confess, I let the girls drink some, nothing crazy. Honestly, I'd be kidding myself if I believed it was their first drinking experience ever. Anyway, it was really great to share this very special place with her. I have one more year before my girl goes off to college and I'm already worried about the transition (hers and mine). I hope things are looking up for your daughter. Glad to hear that you found driving for the first time to be such a blast. I was not quite that adventurous but have already told my husband that I'll be driving on our next trip. (Fair warning - look out everyone on island from 4/28 - 5/5). Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

I too want to express my condolences for the loss of your friend. I also know how you feel about letting your kids drink in front of you. Its a weird feeling to start with, seeing your kids doing adults things. But, like you, I always stressed the drinking and DRIVING issue. My 19 and 20 year old boys have turned out pretty responsible (how responsible CAN you be at that age?) and always have a DD when drinking. Actually, the youngest rarely drinks.

funny story - Last fall we were at the first college football game of the season, were tailgating, and for the first time my boys drank a beer in front of me. It was weird, but more OK with me than with their dad. Well, the youngest (19) didn't go to any more games with us until the last game of the season, and again, he had a beer while we were tailgating (as was I). Someone made the comment about his frequency of drinking and he said, "Actually I haven't drank since,uh, well, the last time I partied with my mom!" Everybody got a kick out of that (except hubby tho :roll: ).

anyhow, its not that we want to be "cool" by letting them drink, its that we know that chances are, they are going to try it, and by example we can teach drinking responsibly. I have always told them that what they do as adults, in the privacy of their own home, is their business. They see me have a drink at home(more lately, now that I don't have to be a "role model" any longer!) That its the drinking while driving that is not tolerated under ANY circumstances.

Anyhow, I think anybody would do as you did, you acted responsibly, and the girls did as well. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time! Its reading stuff like this that makes me wish I had a daughter to share things with.
mia

Post by mia »

Debby,
I would like to offer you my condolences on the loss of you dear friend, Laura. I am quite certain that she is very much aware of the card you sent to her...look for a sign from her and she will find a way to let you know that she knows....I promise :wink:
You are not only a cool mom, but a great mom as well.
The time that you got to spend with Michelle and her friend....the fun you experienced together is invaluable.
I'm know that you are a proud mom too....Michelle's report was great....she really cracked me up with her story about you fleeing the scene and leaving the two of them in mortal danger! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks to you and Michelle for sharing....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown