Decisions, Decisions, Sat or Sun departure

Travel discussion for St. John
Hey Jude

Decisions, Decisions, Sat or Sun departure

Post by Hey Jude »

I hate to ask this question since I haven't even made it to St John as yet....but is it better to leave on a Sat or Sun??? We will be on island Nov 22(Turkey Day) with PatR and hubby until Dec 1st or 2nd. Anyone have thoughts as to which is the better day?

We have our villa booked. No airfare is booked, hoping price comes down a bit.

I was just wondering which day to return home, if one is better than the other?

Thanks for any info you send my way..........

Hey Jude
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Jude, we are returning on 12/2 so I vote for that! Why not stretch it as faaaaaaaar as you can :)
For us the time schedule works so that we still plan to go back to work on Monday. it will be tough but worth it.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

for us it's tough to make it to work the next day after coming back we don't get into Chicago till 10:30 11:00 at night then a 3 1/2 hour ride home makes it tough
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

Really depends upon where you're flying home to. If your flight would get in late and you have to be up early to get to work & be 'on the ball,' or have to pick up kids from gramma or pets from caretakers etc, you might want to fly in Saturday night so you don't end up back at work totally stressed out, negating all the good "learning to relax" time from St. John.

On the other hand, if you'd get in late afternoon/early evening; don't have anything else to do that day (other than wash the dirty clothes & empty the sand out of your suitcases--how does it always manage to stay in them forever?!); and don't have a stressful, 'have-to-get-in-early' and 'everyone-is-depending-on-me' type of job, then I'd say go for the Sunday flight.
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

We will be there then also and are coming home Dec. 1. I vote for staying as loing as you can. Our villa wasnt availble and we have to hit the floor running when we get home. It helps my husband to get back on Sat. so he can regroup before Monday morning 7:30 case. I, on the other hand, always want to stay until the last possible second. I will do about anything including beind exhausted at woek just to stay longer. May will be our 2nd trip that we have returned on saturday. We are doing itin Nov too.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We'll be there over turkey day as well. The 16th - 23rd (Thursday - Friday). I always like to avoid Saturday and Sunday if possible, because its just too busy for my taste esp. with kids along.

I like to have time to regroup/un-depress myself after I return, so I'd vote for a Saturday return. Or Return on Sunday and be sure to take Monday off ;)
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

Jude,

In a perfect world I would want to stay on St. John and in vacation mode as long as possible. With the current way the airlines run, the smallest problem can lead to a large ripple. A large problem can lead to a major disaster. Add to that the fact you are travelling at a very busy time of year AND the start of winter weather. I would come home on a Saturday.

Buddles
(previously a weather forecaster)
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

We did Sunday to Sunday because that's when I could get us there and back using United Miles. One benefit was that Saturday was fairly quiet since that was the big arrival/departure day for most folks. One downside is that we didn't have a chance to go to Miss Lucy's for Sunday brunch and we missed the Sunday Jazz at the Beach Bar.

Monday morning was a little tough, but not bad. We were back at the house by 9:00pm on Sunday night.
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!