cooking ideas please

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

What about chicken marsala or chicken with some type of light wine sauce with a butternut squash risotto on the side? Easy to do and would reheat well.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

I've been through chemo a twice (thankfully with good results). Of course, every treatment and person is different, but stronger smelling foods were unpleasant. Simple is best, and yes, acidic foods can really bother the mouth sores. Maybe ask them what types of foods taste good to them right now. Some of my favorites just didn't taste good while I was in treatments. Whatever you make will be greatly appreciated! :)
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Since you have the chicken you may want to make cutlets, put them over a bed of cooked spinach and then add butter/oil/lemon mixture over the whole dish. Mashed potatoes or buttered noodles go well with this.
I love Ina Garten's turkey meatloaf. As someone else said mashed potatoes go well with it. I do a simple green bean dish with McCormick's salad seasoning (in spice section) olive oil, garlic (powdered is fine) and parm cheese. You steam the beans first and then mix everything in to your taste. I use fresh beans but frozen are fine. Good luck.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I love this recipe & it is great reheated, the biscuts don't even get soggy..all in one & add a simple dessert. I usually have salad but that would be out for them
Nana’s Chicken Pie

½ cup chopped carrots and onions
¼ cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup each of frozen peas & corn thawed
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
¼ teas pepper
3 cups chopped chicken
Bisquick biscuits

Cook carrots in boiling water for 5 minutes then add green peppers. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove and add peas.
Sauté onions in oil until tender & lightly brown. Add ¼ cup of flour to onion and oil. Stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and cook until mixture is thick and bubbly. Stir in pepper. Add vegetables and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring. Put it in a 9x11 inch baking dish. Top with bisquick biscuits made in 2 inch diameter and cook for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees
djmom

Post by djmom »

Thanks for all of the ideas and I am going to try some of them first at home for the future.

But since I am pretty set on making something I have made before (I have played guinea pig with guests one too many times), I have decided to make chicken cordon bleu. I am going to give a dish of wild rice to go with it. And I can't believe it, but I have to serve that with broccoli (which was what I wanted to avoid in the first place) because it just has to have broccoli with that yummy sauce!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

How about chicken pot pies? You can get about 6 out of 4 chicken breasts. They're easy to make, you can control how spicy they are, they're filling and they can have them in the freezer to heat up whenever they're hungry.

*edit* Oops! I just saw cocosmom's post, and you could use the very same filling. That recipe sounds really good!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:16 am.