Update on Mailing

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

Update on Mailing

Post by lavender »

I am mailing a package of basically suntan lotions, toiletries, etc., etc. to St John prior to our vacation. I chose to ship to Connections because of their proximity to the ferry dock and I know right where they are. I called this AM and asked as to the address to use as I had read on the board about not using their PO Box address to ship to. I am mailing USPO priority mail (the flat rate box was a great tip!) and she told me that I should use the PO Box. I think if it was mailed Fedex or another carrier the physical address would be the choice but since its the post office you do use the po box. Also you have to set up an "account" - which tells them you have a package coming - you give them your name, date of arrival and where you are staying and that sets it up. Just a little update for those of you thinking of mailing things.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great info thanks
Tom
cat

Post by cat »

Thanks for the option! Are you trying not to have to check luggage? Will you just leave everything you don't use there?
lavender

Post by lavender »

We are only going with carryon because of the way our flights are and because we are going to St John then to a pretty remote island and don't want lost luggage!! I have packed up the amount of suntan lotion we will probably use up then little bottles of shampoo and conditioner stuff like that. We will probably use all of that up too. The only thing I packed to mail that I probably won't use all of would be my supply of bath and body works stuff. We can check out luggage on the way home if we want so if I have alot of "liquids" we probably willl.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I sent a package to my old boss priority mail and it took about 10 days. I sent a packge to our rental company priority mail with delivery confirmation and it took 5 days. Not sure if the delivery confirmation made the difference but for less than a dollar (I think) it may be worth the extra $$.
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

Lavender- Do you mind sharing exactly what the "flat rate" is? I think this is a great idea--we're trying to do the carry-on only, too.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You can use "flat rate" boxes (USPS PRIORITY MAIL) for $8.10 or $8.95 - I can't remember as my puppy "ate" my last one :) - and whatever fits into it you can ship for that price regardless of the weight. This worked out fabulously last time I mailed things to myself when I was "on vacation" in Kansas :) The clerk at the PO told me it would have been $27.00 due to weight so the 4 boxes I shipped were well worth it :)

And btw it does take 7-10 days even though they will tell you 2-3 days guaranteed in the States

Hope this helps

Pia
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

The flat rate boxes are $8.10 and come in two sizes. The empty boxes are free from the USPO and you should be able to pick them up at any post office. You can also order them to be delivered to your home from the USPS web site (www.usps.gov).
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!