Snorkel Gear

Travel discussion for St. John
ronbo3107

Snorkel Gear

Post by ronbo3107 »

Could anyone recommend a good brand for snorkel gear that will last more than one trip. We bought a couple of sets last year and paid about 70 a piece for them, but they did not fare well.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

My wife and I purchased two U.S. Divers snorkel & mask sets for about $40 each. We rented fins from Low Key. They worked great for our first trip and will for trips to come.
Bryan
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

We bought US Divers Travelite sets for our trip last year. They worked great and we enjoyed the short fins. Very easy to travel with too!

http://www.sunandski.com/U_S_Divers_Ico ... 890900.htm
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We use Seavision Ultra masks and they have held up for over 4 years of trips so far.

We have several fins depending on if we are doing carry on or checking bags. Normally we use our smaller US Divers Trek fins.

Our snorkels are Ocean Master dry snorkels and have held up well during our travels.
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

We bought ours from Snorkel-Mart about 4 years ago. We got the prescription masks and snorkels and they're still looking like brand new. Granted we only use them once a year but they get used hard for that one wonderful week.

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/?gclid=CNuR ... 5QodXUwFmw
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

I second the snorkel-mart vote. We also bought prescription masks from them, probably 6 years ago, and they're holding up great. Not expensive, either. Note, though, that hubby is a&%$-retentive about soaking and rinsing them thoroughly in fresh water every time we come back from the beach. Maybe that helps.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

We bought a set at Academy. Didn't pay much for them. They work great and have taken several trips to the islands~
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We have had good luck with the outfit we purchased 10 years ago from Morin's dive shop in Glens Falls.

Sherwood Fins
Genesis Mojave dry snorkel
Good silicone rubber mask, not sure of the brand...

Steve
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I think the most important thing is to get a mask that fits and won't leak. I use to use basic masks, but when we took a dive class and had a mask properly fitted it was so much better. I use the same mask diving or snorkeling and it is so nice to not have leakage. A really good dive shop will help you. I do like the short US Divers fins, and have a cheep snorkel because I don't mind clearing my snorkel.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

We dig the US Divers too.
Smiles-
MJ
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

We went to a dive shop in Raleigh and got fitted. We figured it was worth the $70 each for masks and snorkels. I'd love to tell you what brand, but they're buried in the luggage closet.

The key, as others have said is the fit AND keeping it clean. Your mask isn't clean until Capt Phil goes to clean it and then hands it back stating it's good enough. That's clean.

It was expensive but, it's paid for itself in not having to rent anymore.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

pipanale wrote:We went to a dive shop in Raleigh and got fitted. We figured it was worth the $70 each for masks and snorkels. I'd love to tell you what brand, but they're buried in the luggage closet.

The key, as others have said is the fit AND keeping it clean. Your mask isn't clean until Capt Phil goes to clean it and then hands it back stating it's good enough. That's clean.

It was expensive but, it's paid for itself in not having to rent anymore.
Seriously! We snorkelled for years prior to our first Captain Phil "cleaning" Learning what a really clean mask is made a world of difference.

Hubby's Rx mask came from snorkel mart years ago and it has held up very well.
ronbo3107

Post by ronbo3107 »

Thanks for all the imput, I've ordered a couple of new sets from US Divers. I'll take better care of them this time.