Fatty Crab?

Travel discussion for St. John
bdkane

Fatty Crab?

Post by bdkane »

Does anyone know if Fatty Crab ever opened in the old Hinds location?

If not - anyone have a status?
TY
Pia

Post by Pia »

No they are not open yet - still working on the remodel I believe

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

They are not open yet and are still working on it. They have been working A LOT on the location for a long time. It looks like they took everything out and started from scratch. I am curious to see what it looks like inside. I would say that they are probably near completion...pretty sure I saw a truck with a ton of appliances on it last week outside. But I haven't heard any word of when they plan to open.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I know it is taking forever - they better hurry up or peak/high season will be over and then I hope they have a lot of $$$ set aside to carry them through.

Pia
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Pia wrote:I know it is taking forever - they better hurry up or peak/high season will be over and then I hope they have a lot of $$$ set aside to carry them through.

Pia
Planning on eating there tomorrow nite, actually. Hopefully the new venture works out - its a delicious and fun place. Definitely fit for St. John. I have no doubt that opening a restaurant in STJ has unique challenges, but I suspect that they've crunched the numbers and done the research prior to this endeavor. These guys have a few restaurants already that have all been successful.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Enjoy an empty restaurant :)

I just called them and their direct quote was..... "we are shooting for the second week of February"
Two people I work with, one has an interview tomorrow to be a server and the other just put her application in so I know they have not hired bar/waitstaff yet.

Let us know how dinner is :)

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Never eaten there, but the Fatty Crab restaurant contributed a recipe to a magazine that I am participating in a year-long cook-along for (that ends Monday, thank goodness!). Their recipe is in the top five of everything I have cooked so far, and I have done 283 recipes (and counting).

I think you are going to be in for a treat. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Most folks have a very rude awakening when they try to get something done in the Caribbean. If the folks are used to doing business in NYC, it could literally drive them insane.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I'm thinking crasherino was having dinner at Fatty Crab in New York (not STJ).

Anxious to give it a try (in STJ) in March.
---Jim
Pia

Post by Pia »

Ahhhhh now I get it :) :) :)

I thought maybe he knew the owner and he was cooking him a special preview meal

Pia
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

iowaguy wrote:I'm thinking crasherino was having dinner at Fatty Crab in New York (not STJ).

Anxious to give it a try (in STJ) in March.
Give this man a prize :D
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

The goal is to open Monday, Feb 7.
Got signs up now.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

One thing's for sure, they will definitely be making use of the local hot peppers. I hadn't been to Fatty Crab in a while prior to my Friday visit, but most of their dishes are really spicy.

I like spice in my food but can't handle much more than "medium" before I start sweating, so I sweating much of my meal on Friday night.

But, its definitely a restaurant that can fit in in the STJ scene, both for locals and tourists. The dishes are meant to be shared and its a very informal atmosphere. It doesn't end up being cheap - which also fits into the STJ restaurant culture :lol: but, you can order a few things without breaking the bank.
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

mickyb wrote:The goal is to open Monday, Feb 7.
Got signs up now.
Since Monday is my B-Day AND I will be at Caneel that week...Would this be a good place to have dinner that night??? We were thinking of maybe doing the seafood buffet at Caneel on Monday. HMMMM such HARD decisions!!!
My only worry in the world...
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

StlBeachBum wrote:
mickyb wrote:The goal is to open Monday, Feb 7.
Got signs up now.
Since Monday is my B-Day AND I will be at Caneel that week...Would this be a good place to have dinner that night??? We were thinking of maybe doing the seafood buffet at Caneel on Monday. HMMMM such HARD decisions!!!
Assuming the Cruz Bay outpost is similar to the NYC ones, its not a fancy restaurant. Doesn't mean your bill won't be large - I'm sure it will be if you like to drink and if you end up ordering a good deal of food.

Its more of a casual, share plates with the table, type place. If you are looking for the newer version of Zozo's, Asolare or Waterfront Bistro, this isn't it. And also, as I mentioned in my earlier post, its pretty spicy across the board (although I'm sure they can adjust that if you ask). So, its a fine place for a birthday celebration if you aren't looking for a fine dining establishment but more of a fun, casual place (that specializes in Malaysian food).

But one consideration - its going to be the first night. No matter how organized they are, do you want to have your birthday dinner on the opening night of any restaurant? There are pros and cons to that. Pro: it will be a special night for the restaurant - perhaps they'll do something special, especially if its your birthday. Con: the service is likely to be a disaster - even the best of restaurants need to work out opening kinks.

Just my $.02