What would a Forumite do? Advice needed!

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

What would a Forumite do? Advice needed!

Post by Xislandgirl »

We are just about to pull the trigger on our next trip. We know about when we can go and flights seem well priced but have not decided where we want to stay. Would you ever book flights and jeep and then wait until a month before to see what deal you can find?
I am not normally a gambler, but we are not picky and very flexible, so should we risk it and hope for the best, or book something as a sure thing?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

It's kind of backwards from the way I do my trip planning. I always book the villa first and than make the flights work to match the villa dates. If you're not to picky about where you stay you're probably OK to do it that way.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

This is how we normally book trips. There has never been a time since we started traveling to St. John that there hasn't been pages of last minute rentals available. Most of the villa companies have a last minute page now, and lots of vrbo rentals list specials for last minute now.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

We vary on how we book - sometimes flight first and then other times villa. Go for it! I'm sure you'll find a great place to stay.
NancyB
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

In my limited time observing such things, it seems that there are always plenty of choices except maybe during February or Christmas/New Years. You may not get your "dream villa" but if you're flexible on dates I think snagging a cheap airfare when available makes a lot of sense.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I'd roll the dice. You will find something you like.
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

It would work for me as I am not as picky however it would stress the hubby too much.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We've never done it that way but, we are excessively picky about our villa. Since you are not, I suggest you book the flights and Jeep rental then, start watching for specials several weeks in advance. I do not believe that flight prices are going to come down much, in fact, I'm seeing a frightening trend upward. If you can get flights at a price you like, I say:

Book it, Deedee!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Kealani wrote:It would work for me as I am not as picky however it would stress the hubby too much.
We just had this discussion and he is all nervous. I could care less...we shall see
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Marcia you may be right on the airfares. I was reading something the other day about the way the airlines have hedged for fuel for the remainder of the year. There is no futures market for "jet fuel", so they do what I call "dirty hedges" with a commodity that is normally closely correlated in price, like diesel fuel or crude oil. Leaving out a lot details here, but it seems that the price of jet fuel is rising, while the value of their hedges deteriorates. So not only will they be paying more for the actual fuel they need, they will also have to be covering for losses on their hedges. A double whammy. I hope it's not as bad as what I was reading. And things do have a way of changing.
augie

Post by augie »

If it's any comfort, that's pretty much what we're doing in the fall.

Airfare is booked, with all of the options available for lodging, I'm not going to even worry (or even think much) about it for a while.
Come see us!
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

That's how we just booked - the airfare was good so I got it and then everything fell into place in time.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We do this a lot -- in fact, I think we've booked our villa last-minute almost every time. There's often (but not always) a discount if you're a month or less from your trip date -- the villa owner is happy to fill the week, and I'm happy about the discount! Happiness all around.

It's also a fun way to try out a villa (or an area) that you may not have tried otherwise.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

We usually overly research which villa we wish to visit first, then book the airfare.
I'd love to fly by the seat of my pants on a trip like you adventurous folks, though!
Go for it!
Smiles-
MJ
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

That is my normal process. Since the jeep rental and the villa are "fixed" pricing, your best chance at savings are on the airfare. Besides, the airfare is the one thing that you can be certain does not go into the local economy, so that is where I like to try to save the most.

1.Determine window of opportunity.
2.Watch airfares.
3.Pull trigger on airfare when the price is right.
4.Book Jeep
5.Villa search
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"