Separate St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas forums?

Travel discussion for St. John

Should we have separate forums for St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 107

Anthony
Site Admin

Separate St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas forums?

Post by Anthony »

Is it time? Should we make the current Travel Forum the St. John forum, and create new ones for St. Croix and St. Thomas? I think - YES. What do you think???

They would all be easily accessible from this page:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/index.php
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I think the "Club" that has been referred to should have their own forum and the rest of the majority of helpful posters can exist amicably and offer useful and helpful information for the many people interested in all facets of Virgin Island tourism and welcome new and return visitors with non acerbic posts and friendly acceptance.
When I voted there was 1 NO [me] and no YES.
oldbuddy

Post by oldbuddy »

When I was new to this forum, I thought it was only about St John. I was surprised when someone wrote about St Thomas; I thought they hit the wrong button. I recently returned form St Croix and didn't write a trip report because I felt the only thing most people on this forum would want to hear is that it is not as good as St John. So, maybe it is time for the split.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I just don't believe it would be as "separate" as people think. For instance, in the left column there, the "Latest Forum Posts" are from across all 3 forums, (USVI, Off Topic, and Relocation) - and if we added St. Thomas and St. Croix, the new posts would still show up there, on the home page of the site, go out in the RSS feed, be sent in the email update (if you get it), posted on FB and Twitter, etc. So I think a user would still be involved in all places but can get a little more granular focus if they wanted to...

But I see we are running in the negative on the poll - as usual :)
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

I vote for no separation of STJ, STT and STX boards.

First, there are frequent questions which involve both STJ and STT: car rental, Cost-U-Less, the drive to Red Hook, comparison of accommodations, ferries, etc.

Second, there aren't so many STT or STX posts that we have to weed through them to get to the STJ posts.

I'm also somewhat interested in STX and am enjoying the current "is the grass always greener" thread.

TM
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

ToonMann wrote:Second, there aren't so many STT or STX posts that we have to weed through them to get to the STJ posts.
Well - exactly! The point is that the "forum" seems to be dominated by St. John - and it is called the USVI Forum, so maybe if we just had 3 separate places here http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/index.php it would encourage/promote more discussion for St. Croix and St. Thomas. Like I just said above, it is not that far away from here, etc.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you think that creating individual forums would increase traffic and posts about St. Croix and St. Thomas, I think it might be a good idea. I'd be interested in learning more about both.
Thanks for all you do, Anthony!
JT

Post by JT »

Personally, I enjoy reading almost all of the posts from all the islands, including the rare, occasional post of Water Island. That said, I think that you should do what's best for you. We're all the beneficiaries of all that you do.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

I agree with JT, if you build it,they will come!! Thanks for all you do, Anthony. Without this forum, many of us would not have our daily connection to the places we love!!
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

I'm one of those who is most interested in STJ, but I do believe that splitting the forums would result in an INCREASE in STT and STX posts. People are almost apologetic when they post about those islands.
byado18

Post by byado18 »

As long as the left side list includes all posts AND there is NO antagonism if someone "mentions" one of the other islands on any of the "wrong" board, I'm in favor of the split. I think it will encourage people to post about all three of the USVI and that info will be of interest to even those of us who consider ourselves "St. John people" and will promote tourism to all three islands!

Anthony, thanks for doing such a great job of seeing the needs!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

As long as all three forums are easily visible/searchable, if you think it would bring more traffic and registered posters than why not? I personally like reading about (and looking at pictures of) all of the islands.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

oldbuddy wrote:When I was new to this forum, I thought it was only about St John. I was surprised when someone wrote about St Thomas; I thought they hit the wrong button. I recently returned form St Croix and didn't write a trip report because I felt the only thing most people on this forum would want to hear is that it is not as good as St John. So, maybe it is time for the split.
Please give us a Trip Report. I would love to read it and see some pictures. I bet many others would enjoy it also.
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

Do it. If anything it will help unregistered and new users find/get info about a specific island easier.
Matt
jmq

Post by jmq »

When I was new to this forum, I thought it was only about St John. I was surprised when someone wrote about St Thomas; I thought they hit the wrong button. I recently returned form St Croix and didn't write a trip report because I felt the only thing most people on this forum would want to hear is that it is not as good as St John. So, maybe it is time for the split.
As Minde and others point out, it might be much more likely that folks would post more about the other islands if they were split out where their information wouldnt get overwhelmed by the STJ stuff. This forum has only gotten more and more STJ-centric over time and there is no reason to think that trend will reverse itself.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide