Separate Forums - is done

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Separate Forums - is done

Post by Anthony »

Well I did. Personally I think most of the concerns about navigation, etc. are not going to be major issues. The best thing to do is start on the home page of all the forums -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/

There you can quickly see what forums have new posts, etc.

Also if you are logged (and registered of course) you will see the "View posts since last visit" link on the right hand side, sort of below the little banner ad. This gives you a customized page with just new stuff you have not looked at yet.

Then, there is the "Latest Forum Posts (all forums)" in the left hand column, where you can see the last 10 posts across all the forums.

Some people said they want to "filter" to just a specific island - that can easily be done by just clicking on the island you want to view, again, from the main page

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/

So for this forum, St. John, you click on U.S. Virgin Islands Travel Forum: St. John

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... um.php?f=1

If people cross post or mis-post obvious things (like ask about a St. Thomas restaurant in the St. Croix forum) I will moderate those by moving them and leaving a shadow topic.

I also fixed the light blue nav bar above, so the pull down menu under "Forums, Blogs, Feeds" has a separate link for each forum, and the island navs all have a direct link into their specific forums.

I was thinking of a couple of other tricks but I think this is enough for the first go - looking forward to hearing feedback!

Thanks, as always, for your patience and enthusiasm. We have so much more stuff to bring that we have been working on for literally more than a couple of years - maps, dining info, new review system. I really hope to start launching more of this stuff as the year goes on.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Wow- you've been busy! Thanks for all the hard work Anthony!
Lex

Post by Lex »

I think it's a good decision, certainly worth trying. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. It's certainly easy to navigate. I wonder--I've seen some posters make a conscious choice to post an off-topic post on the travel forum just because it gets more traffic.

Oh, and the Water Island issue.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Nice Job Anthony, but I can't seem to find the Water Island Forum ;)
Funny story, we bought a necklace as a Christmas present for our daughter from a store called Bamboo in Wharfside Village. The necklace is one of their original designs it is called the 3 Virgins. My daughter met a woman who complimented her necklace and she said it stands for the 3 USVI, and the woman said there are 4 USVI's, well this went back and forth. So my daughter decided to go in the store and tell them, and they did not know that since 1998 Water Island was considered it's own USVI. We got another virgin to make it legit ;)

[/url]
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I was debating on making it St. Thomas & Water Island... and Hans Lollick and Little Hans Lollick, and Inner Brass, Outer Brass, Lovango, etc. etc. :)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Just checked in and WOW. This will be wonderful. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Many Happy postings to the STJ forum!! :D
Coden
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Anthony! I like it!!!
Image[/url]
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

This is pretty cool. I was overwhelmed when I first signed on, but I'm beginning to ease into it. I like the "view posts since last visit" link. That's cool. :D Has it always been there and I just never noticed?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

California Girl wrote:I like the "view posts since last visit" link. That's cool. :D Has it always been there and I just never noticed?
YES! :) (as long as you are signed in)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Doh! :roll:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:43 pm.