ID Requirements At Airport

Travel discussion for St. John
luvstjohn

ID Requirements At Airport

Post by luvstjohn »

Hey all. Im getting mixed information regarding necessary ID at the airport for my 15 year old son when we fly out to St John end of June. TSA says he doesnt need ID becuase hes under 18, but American Airlines says he needs at least a picture ID or birth certificate. Has anyone had recent experience traveling with minors and what is necessary. Southwest Airlines says he doesnt need anyting. Im thinking about getting him a state ID from the motor vehicle department....thanks for your help out there!!

Bre
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

When we traveled with our 11 month old last year we took a copy of his birth certificate even though I believe American Airlines told us he did not need anything and it never said it would be needed anywhere for traveling. Then when leaving St Thomas at customs the agent gave us a bit of a hard time because the birth certificate was not an original.

This year he will be going with a passport. It is really hard to find a solid answer because the more you look, the more variations of what you need come up.

State issued ID is probably a good idea and may save you some hassles.
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

From the AA Web site

Identification Requirements
Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have government-issued photo identification for travel within the United States. However, you may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) at the airport for any children under the age of 18 who are traveling with you.

Passengers under the age of 18 who are traveling outside the United States are subject to the same travel document requirements as adults. Visit the U.S. State Department's Web site for information on passports* as well as visa and immunization* requirements for international travel.

So seems to be fuzzy - with consideration for how long they are good for I would go through the trouble to get him a passport - although not required for this trip (even for adults) things just seem to go more smoothly..
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

To be safe, I would get him a US passport. You've got time, but get started soon. I got passports for both of my children (ages 3 and 1) just to prevent any problems at the airport. It took 2-3 weeks to receive them in the mail, and another week to receive the birth certificate back. Also if you decide to do a trip to any BVIs, he'll need a passport.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

We have passports for both our kids (ages 7 and 10) and we always bring them. We usually volunteer them at the security checkpoint, but have not been asked for them. I recommend getting a passport, too- can't hurt. Then if you decide on a day trip to Jost, you're ready :wink:
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I agree that getting a passport is the best idea. We travel with a 10 year old with only a CERTIFIED copy of her birth certificate with no problems.
melmd

Post by melmd »

I second the passport. When we travelled last April to STJ we had passports for both our children and we had no problems.