Gas Mileage in Paradise

Travel discussion for St. John
patr

Gas Mileage in Paradise

Post by patr »

After five days and 75 miles we've used up half a tank of gas in our little Jeep Wrangler.

(8 gallons at $3.46 per gallon)

That really sucks. Al Gore would not be happy. :(
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

I didn't keep track of miles, but we used a full tank ($42 to refill) in 7 days in our rented Liberty. You're at about the same pace. It's all of those hills. At least the up hill part, anyway :roll:
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We had a new Wrangler with a little over 1200 miles on it last month. (The one I kept leaving stuff on the top :) ) We got a little over 8 mpg, a full 16 gallon tank spread over 132 miles.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We got 8 mpg in a 20,000 mile Liberty during our last trip. I had to laugh at hubby for figuring it out as it was something he would never bother to do at home.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Jeeps aren't all that great on gas millage to begin with. are you driving in 4wd mode ? that will cut your millage in half. toss in the fact you're only driving around 30-35 mph and the hilly terrain and 8mpg doesn't seem that bad. i'm lucky to get around 10 mpg in my tacoma when i have it in 4wd.
Last edited by kirk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Gas mileage is a pet peeve of mine. If you leave the vehicle in 4WD all of the time than your gas mileage will be low. I do 2WD except when I need it. With our party-party group we usually have 2 vehicles. The one I mostly drive gets about 1/3 better gas mileage. The other vehicle usually stays in 4WD all of the time.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I will say I scheme and plan just about everything (there is a plan it is not always followed) when I go
to STJ but one thing I have NEVER taken notice of was our gas mileage. I am lucky if I notice the needle has gotten low. Again, people, this is why I bring my husband along!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Not something I noticed on vacation either.

However, if gas is $3.46 a gallon on STJ that isn't too much more than here. Some places are at $3.00! Yikes!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Boy do I love ethenol. Never worried about gas on vacation just a drop in the bucket
cat

Post by cat »

Gas here is 2.75 a gallon. I don't however know what mileage we got on st john.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

[quote="flip-flop"]one thing I have NEVER taken notice of was our gas mileage. I am lucky if I notice the needle has gotten low. [quote]

I always take note of the gas mileage and I am always prepared well in advance of when the needle is getting low and fill up in plenty of time. If it happens to on triple EEE empty, I was just on my way right then. I NEVER almost ran over one of the biggest country music stars in the world because I was racing to get gas and he was talking on his cell phone in the middle of the road, because I'm actually very organized and I would NEVER be that low on gasoline in my automobile. No one ever needs to remind me when it's time to get gas, either, because I know.

(You never know who might be reading this.)
-Ruth
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

[quote="StJohnRuth
If it happens to on triple EEE empty, I was just on my way right then. I NEVER almost ran over one of the biggest country music stars in the world because I was racing to get gas and he was talking on his cell phone in the middle of the road, because I'm actually very organized and I would NEVER be that low on gasoline in my automobile. No one ever needs to remind me when it's time to get gas, either, because I know.

-Ruth[/quote]

Maybe if one of the biggest country music stars did not pull that baseball hat down so low, he would have seen you coming! :wink:
Although, I do think it is cuter when it is on backwards.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I can honestly say that if I were ever to consider talking on my cell phone in the middle of the road in front of La Tapa, I would be paying a lot of attention to motor vehicles in the vicinity. (Not that this ever actually happened, of course.)
-Ruth
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

StJohnRuth wrote:
flip-flop wrote:one thing I have NEVER taken notice of was our gas mileage. I am lucky if I notice the needle has gotten low.

I always take note of the gas mileage and I am always prepared well in advance of when the needle is getting low and fill up in plenty of time. If it happens to on triple EEE empty, I was just on my way right then. I NEVER almost ran over one of the biggest country music stars in the world because I was racing to get gas and he was talking on his cell phone in the middle of the road, because I'm actually very organized and I would NEVER be that low on gasoline in my automobile. No one ever needs to remind me when it's time to get gas, either, because I know.

-Ruth
He is kind of tiny ruth and easy to miss....
he should have been on the curb he knows how we all drive..........j/k.....
thank god it was not one of those trucks.......they scare the dickens out of me on the switchbacks up on gifft hill
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

StJohnRuth wrote:(Not that this ever actually happened, of course.)
Suuuure Ruth, we all believe ya'! :lol: