Passport Delay

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Post by Pia »

They are saying 10 weeks for standard and 2 weeks for expedited (see below)
Here is the quote from their website and the link
www.travel.state.gov

"Travelers who have not applied for passports to date should plan ten weeks for standard passport processing and two weeks for expedited processing. Information on how to apply for a passport, including how to expedite processing, is available at http://travel.state.gov. Applicants requesting expedited service must write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope containing their application."

Pia
MrB

Post by MrB »

I understand that some peeps here may not be going to STT/STJ but as far as I know, you don't need a passport for STT or Puerto Rico, do you?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

MrB wrote:I understand that some peeps here may not be going to STT/STJ but as far as I know, you don't need a passport for STT or Puerto Rico, do you?
I can't say about Puerto Rico, but you don't need one for the USVI. However, if you plan to go over to the BVI (Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Jost van Dyke, etc.) on a daysail, you will need a passport
California Girl

cat wrote:How long were they good for back then.
10 yrs. I think. That was in the 60's and those days are a little fuzzy in my mind [wink, wink. nudge, nudge]
MrB

Post by MrB »

California Girl wrote:
MrB wrote:I understand that some peeps here may not be going to STT/STJ but as far as I know, you don't need a passport for STT or Puerto Rico, do you?
I can't say about Puerto Rico, but you don't need one for the USVI. However, if you plan to go over to the BVI (Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Jost van Dyke, etc.) on a daysail, you will need a passport

DUH!!!! I forgot trips to BVI!!!!!!Image

DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

California girl.. you set my mond at ease...somewhat..lol..hubby's now shows up but still no sign of mine and we mailed them in the same day...not sure who suggested i check for cleared checks but great idea..thanks!
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

Actually, you don't need one for a daysail to BVI this year. Not for travel by land or sea, only by air, until 2008. Check this out...

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
California Girl

DonnaC wrote:California girl.. you set my mond at ease...somewhat..lol..hubby's now shows up but still no sign of mine and we mailed them in the same day...not sure who suggested i check for cleared checks but great idea..thanks!
Unless you're going to the BVI's don't even worry about a passport. Yes there are new rules in effect, but you can still go to the USVI with your birth certificate and driver's license. :wink:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:40 pm.