Passport Delay

Travel discussion for St. John
DonnaC

Passport Delay

Post by DonnaC »

I submitted my old passport with my application for a new one over 4 weeks ago and am still unable to track it on the US Passport website on their tracking link..I do not expect to receive it for a few weeks yet but am surprised there is still no record of it online..Anyone have any experience with this recently?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Our passports took 13 weeks. It took over a month for them to show up in the system.

They are so backlogged and are struggling to keep up.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We ordered ours March 3rd and we are going June 8th.
I haven't checked the website. I had no idea 14 weeks would be cutting it close!
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

We submitted 2 renewals and 1 brand new on on January 31. It took 8 weeks for the renewals and 9 for the new one. Looks like we applied just in time!
jerseyjay

Post by jerseyjay »

We applied for our renewals in the beginning of February, and still haven't gotten them. We weren't able to track it on the website for a long time either, until finally the information came up. Doesn't seem like the website is really up to date. I think they process them, based on the "date of travel" that you give them. There's also a number you can call if you're traveling within 10 days from now. Maybe give that a try and see if you can get some more info.
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

I sent my new passport application March 14 expedited and received it March 31. Had a name change due to marraige. I completed the paperwork online, printed it, had my picture taken (yuk), obtained the money order (the expedited fee) and overnighted it via USPS along with a self-addressed prepaid stamped express envelope for return. I wrote, "Expedite, Please" all over the outside of the envelope. I was shocked at how fast I received it. Leaving for trip May 5. I had checked it once online.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Coincidentally, I was checking for my husband's passport online the day it showed up in the mail, yet the website had no record of it! We submitted our applications 1 day apart and his took 2 weeks longer than mine did to show up. (Mine took about 4 weeks - last Sept., I think) Mine was a renewal from - dare I say it? - 1968! - his was a new application. (I don't even know if 1968 counts as a renewal!)
cat

Post by cat »

California Girl wrote:Coincidentally, I was checking for my husband's passport online the day it showed up in the mail, yet the website had no record of it! We submitted our applications 1 day apart and his took 2 weeks longer than mine did to show up. (Mine took about 4 weeks - last Sept., I think) Mine was a renewal from - dare I say it? - 1968! - his was a new application. (I don't even know if 1968 counts as a renewal!)
I'm suprised they didn't make you reapply after such a long time! :lol:

Mine showed up online after about a month. I mailed it in the beginning of March and they received it on the 8th. I had one of those return receipts so I would be sure they got it! OK so call me paranoid. :lol:

I have not gotten my passport back though. I have till the end of June but i hope I get it well before that. I should have expidited it!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We are seeing renewals taking better than 12 weeks right now!!! We had one friend who had to call Tom Davis, his congressman, to get the process especially expedited because of a travel deadline. He got his passport the afternoon of his travel day. Ours expire in 2009 and I'm going to get them renewed early.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

cat wrote:I'm suprised they didn't make you reapply after such a long time! :lol:
I think that's basically what I ended up doing in the long run. :roll:
cat

Post by cat »

How long were they good for back then.
nola girl

Post by nola girl »

Ok - I am getting very nervous. I applied for my passport on March 7th thinking that I would have plenty of time before my trip (leaving May 25th). The check that I wrote to cover the fees just cleared my bank today! Is that a good sign? The lady that took my application told me that it would be 6-8 weeks and that I had plenty of time before I leave for my trip! Now I am thinking I should have expedited the application.
cat

Post by cat »

nola girl wrote:Ok - I am getting very nervous. I applied for my passport on March 7th thinking that I would have plenty of time before my trip (leaving May 25th). The check that I wrote to cover the fees just cleared my bank today! Is that a good sign? The lady that took my application told me that it would be 6-8 weeks and that I had plenty of time before I leave for my trip! Now I am thinking I should have expedited the application.
I was thinking the same thing! Did you apply at the downtown office? That is where i have taken mine in the past but this time i mailed it. I am getting nervous too.
nola girl

Post by nola girl »

I don't think the downtown New Orleans office has reopened yet (I could be wrong)? I know the vital records office around the corned had taken water and is no where near ready to reopen. You know how slow things move in Louisiana - more than likely we will get another devistating hurricane before the buildings around here are repaired and reopened! I went to the main post office in Metairie because it is near my office.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I never did find out the status of our applications on the website. Don't worry if you can't pull yours up there.

According to the website it sounded like they were concentrating on getting them done per the vacation dates listed on the applications. The site said something like, "We don't want anyone to miss out on their vacation."