Replacement deck options

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Ali

Replacement deck options

Post by Ali »

So we have to replace our redwood deck - weep - as the under structure has rotted. Looking at the new Trex Transcend product which is 2x$ of pressure treated w/install. Weep..

Anyone have any feedback? I know Trex had issues a few years back, but the new product seems to have taken care of those issues. We have to do something quick to get the pool open...and I'm sick how this will derail St. John trips in the near future...oh well....

Thanks for you input!

Ali
P-600

Post by P-600 »

My husband is a builder and recommends the Timbertech XLM it is an all PVC product. It might be a bit more than the Trex but the chemicals from the pool, tanning oils may affect the wood fibers that are in Trex. Check out the Timbertech.com website.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
bevm

Post by bevm »

We used Evergrain in the Redwwood color. It's been down for 7 years and looks brand new. We powerwash it every year. We liked this because it has the natural texturing of real wood without the maintenance. We also have a hot tub and it has not changed or faded around it.
Pia

Post by Pia »

After all of my research we will be using AZEK - found out a lot of fantastic info on the forum at www.gardenweb.com just go to their deck section.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

We replaced all the wood fascia boards and trim on my house with Azek. We have a problem with mildewing and Azek has alleviated that. It is expensive but the option of never having to replace or paint made it less expensive in the long run.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are planning on a deck for our cabin and both Timbertech and Azek were recommended by the builder.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Pia wrote:After all of my research we will be using AZEK.
Does that mean there will be an update to your blog soon? Your fans are patiently waiting! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

We have the early version of Trex (ouor deck was built 9 years ago) and we still love it.

Nowadays there are lots more options that look even better.

Bottom line is -- go with synthetic over wood. Biggest plus is NO MORE SPLINTERS when you walk on it with your bare feet! It does get hot though.

All you have to do is powerwash it and it looks like new year after year. We will NEVER have a real wood deck again, ever!

Good luck!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi Lovermont

Yes a blog entry,,,,,,,,soon come :)

My problem is I don't know where to start - I have a *roof* entry, a *downstairs bathroom taped out on my floor in the middle of my house* entry and this weekend maybe the house gets *jacked up* (literally) - yep that's right Les is jacking up the house, cutting the support posts, pouring new concrete footings and supports and when cured sitting the house back down...........all by his lonesome :shock: so we will have that entry as well along with all of our design and material choices............whew I'm worn out - off for another drink :)

Pia
Ali

Post by Ali »

Thanks everyone, got some research to do. Although there are not a lot of options up here in the "land of not-plenty". :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thanks to new information here I now have to research Timbertech - thanks everyone..........I think :)
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

We put in a Timbertech deck a couple of years ago and are really happy with it. Our final two choices were between Timbertech and Evergrain. We decided on Timbertech just because we liked the texture better, but I think both are very good products.