Anyone stay at Balance or Splendore Villa?

Travel discussion for St. John
momto3boys

Anyone stay at Balance or Splendore Villa?

Post by momto3boys »

We are still trying to decide on a Villa. My Husband really wants to stay at Moon Cottage. I am trying to quickly look at other options. Right now my 2 favorites are Balance and Splendore.

Balance I love the outdoor shower views and the covered patio. The pool looks real nice as well.

Splendore I like the outdoor space and the views. I do not care for the decor or furnishings. The hottub is a bonus.

I am wondering how quiet they both are. Are the pool areas private for Sunbathing? How is the drive to reach Them?

My concerns for Moon cottage is the pool looks small though deep. I prefer a pool 5 deep or less. The drive to reach it. The outdoor space seems small. Other than those I really like it. My Husband loves it and has no concerns.

If you have any other suggestions let me know. This would be our first trip so I still am learning about the area.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We stayed at Balance in July, 2008. We really liked it. When are you going? The only problem we had is that the alcove where the king-sized trundle is located is not air-conditioned but we just kept that bedroom door opened which helped. The outdoor showers are awesome but they are open from the waist up. None of the surrounding villas are close enough to see anything unless they have binoculars! I love the patio there and the landscaping behind the chaise lounges is filled with hummingbirds all day long. The house sits in the middle of the bay so the water views are great. I don't remember the drive being too bad, just a little steep at the end but not a problem with 4WD.
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

Donna,

Is the pool area private? It is just 2 of us going so the trundle would not be an issue. Would you recommend it for just a couple? We are going for our 25th Anniversary.

I am guessing that there are no sunrise or sunset views there?
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

I forgot to answer your Question! We are planning early May next year. We want to make sure the trip is extra special so that is why we are booking early. More Choices!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We have stayed at Spendore a couple of times and it's by far our favorite villa in STJ.

The pool area is very private, no worries there. However, there are houses close by and sometimes you can hear people but, if you turn on the waterfall, you won't. :)

We spent a great deal of time outside at the covered table. We rarely used the living room. And the garden shower was delightful, in the master bedroom. (Actually, the two bedrooms are pretty much equal and both have garden showers.)

If you have any other specific questions about Splendore, please don't hesitate to ask.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Oh ya, about getting there. The drive is easy. One of the easiest, of all of the villas we've rented. And, you are really close to Cruz Bay, so running into town for groceries or dinner is a breeze.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

Marcia
Have you ever rented it as a one bedroom?. My husband does not like that you don't get use of the whole thing. Maybe he is worried that they can rent out the other part. Not sure. But I know he has a concern about that part.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

We have always rented it just as a couple. They say you can't use the other bedroom but it's not locked or anything. Unless something has changed in the last year, you have access to the entire house.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

They absolutely would not rent out the other bedroom while you are there!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

The pool area at Balance was very private. You won't get sunrise or sunset views since the house is not too high up on the hill. I would definitely recommend it, though!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

We never stayed at Splendore but we visited Jan & Mike for an evening and we were impressed.

The kitchen was modern and well appointed and I thought that the bedrooms were lovely. I seem to remember a good amount of closet space.

The only down side was the "third" bedroom which was a loft upsatirs and not what I would consider good for third couple. Kids maybe... but not for adults IMHO.

The patio and pool are was also quite nice. We ejoyed the views of STT in the distance.

It was easy to find and get to although it's found on the more populated side of the island. It's like being in a normal development. With neighbors all around.

I considered staying there myself in the past, but opted instead for the Coral Bay side of things to switch things up a bit.

Would definitely stay at Splendore though if I was looking for something on that side of STJ for one or two couples.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I agree with everything Marcia said about Splendore. It is a very, very nice house. What stands out in my memory was how clean and maintained it was. It was outfited (glasses, dishes, kitchen stuff) far better than any other house we have rented on STJ.

The pool area gets full sun and even in February, we used the pool first thing in the morning and well into the evening, the water was that warm.