Vie's Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Vie's Beach

Post by Knolmom »

I recall someone saying that Vie's is closed in August. Does that mean that she does not serve food, or that access to her beach is closed-off too?
I have never been to Vie's so I do not know how one enters or leaves the property.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Good question! I have only been there when she was open and she charged extra $ (If I remember correctly- $2) on top of the food we purchased from her... We just walked across the street and used her beach..Not sure how that would work if the restaurant were closed. Hmmmm?

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
CarolJLF

Post by CarolJLF »

I believe that you can still use the beach. There is an "honor box" near the gate for you to deposit the money.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Yes, she has an honor box.
Knolmom

Vie's beach?

Post by Knolmom »

Does she leave the loungers out?
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Yes, the loungers are out.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Just to clarify Hansen Bay beach does not privately belong to Vie. All Virgin Island beaches are public and are free. Some have private lots or National Park land behind them, restricting access to water or coastal entry, but no one can restrict or charge a fee to use the beach.

Most beaches with private property behind them have public easements to them, although land owners would not wish to publicize this.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Good comment! I would still drop 2$ in the box just because Vie maintains the chairs and parking, but just knowing this info is a good thing.
hugo

Post by hugo »

East ender, it's not nearly that simple. Most shorelines in the Vi are owned by the adjacent property owner, not the Government. A law was passed in the 1970s that gave public access,up to the vegetation line, IF you can reach the beach from the water. Governor Evans would not sign the bill, because it is illegal under the US Constitution to take private land without compensation. To solve this problem, the Government never "took" the land-in other words, it's still private, but the public has the right to use it without charge. Developments and some subdivisions have been required to allot public access across their land to sandy shore in recent years, but Vie has not developed her land, so she is 100% legal in charging people to cross her land.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Yes, I believe I addressed that in my post when stating that access would be restricted to coastal or water access. Is it the vegetation or high water line, or are they synonymous?

Much of the land claims on East End is being disputed in court and it has become quite contentious. 'Vie's land' behind Hansen Bay beach is a family cemetery, which she has maintained for several decades. However, whether she is the owner of the parcel and has the right to charge for passage is being disputed.