My cooler passed security!

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

My cooler passed security!

Post by California Girl »

Hi -

I'm still sitting at John Wayne airport waiting for our flight, but I thought in my spare time, I'd update you on the cooler carry-on sitch!

My cooler is packed with 40 enchiladas, about 6 doz. frozen cookies, 2 qts. refried beans, 2 qts. Spanish rice, and a huge bag of shredded cheese. (I couldn't fit in the 2 lbs. of pulled pork - damn! - thank God for Candi's & Uncle Joes!)

When we went through security my heart raced when they stalled the cooler in the x-ray machine and studied it very carefully. Then I was asked, "What's in this?" and I said, "Frozen food." and he said, "We have to run a test on it." I said, "You don't have to open it do you?" and he said, "No." So he took my cooler over to another desk and ran some sort of wand all over it, paying special attention to the buckles and such. Then he said it was ok, and I was on my way!

I'll let you know how cold everything is when I unload it on St. John! :D

Mission: Carry-on cooler successful!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

HEY- Good thing your local TSA agents weren't hungry or you just may have lost that cooler :shock: Enjoy your trip!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

That wand thing is kind of cool. They just put a little piece of cotton on the end and rub it all over and around surfaces and pop it in a machine that checks for trace amounts of different chemicals. Traveling with a Rasta husband, we tend to get "the wand" a lot :) Hmm....what could they be looking for :D No worries, we always pass!!! Glad to hear your food made it ok :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Julie, that's exactly what they used. :)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Same thing that happened with my cooler and the water bottles...except he had me open mine...asked me was I going on a picnic ?..lol...glad your beans made it ok..:)
[/url]
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Gotta love frozen food! have fun!!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Pia

Post by Pia »

Wooo Hooo girlfriend you are officially on your way - see you later :)
Realtor - St John Properties
JT

Post by JT »

Hope your flight was smooth and that you all have a blast, with the weather co-operating!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Enjoy your vacation!!!
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
PA Girl

Re: My cooler passed security!

Post by PA Girl »

California Girl wrote:Hi -

My cooler is packed with 40 enchiladas, about 6 doz. frozen cookies, 2 qts. refried beans, 2 qts. Spanish rice, and a huge bag of shredded cheese. (I couldn't fit in the 2 lbs. of pulled pork - damn! - thank God for Candi's & Uncle Joes!)

Mission: Carry-on cooler successful!
40 enchiladas! I need to start travelling with you. Yum.
Mar

Post by Mar »

Hi CA Girl
YUM! Your cooler sounds much more interesting than mine! We just had the usual chicken, shrimp, bacon stuff. :) Have an awesome trip!!
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

Yay! and I love your ticker 8)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Yum! See you soon!

Cheers, RickG (on Maho today)
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Mary L

Post by Mary L »

Have a great vacation, I can't wait to see pictures. I wish I could go at this time of the year so I can meet all of you, maybe I'll hide in Deedee's suitcase. :)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

They do that swap thingy with my sons gun cases all the time then look shocked when there are trace amounts out exposives. They alwats call for a sup. and tells them to let it go. What do they expect its a gun case.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:31 pm.