I LIKE the new "LIKE" button!

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

mindehankins wrote:Kentuckygirl, what do you see, after you hit the like button? I don't like the idea of my name showing up on the facebook pages that I'm not friends with. I don't know how far that can go....
It just takes me to the login page. My 2 older kids have fb accounts, but I made sure we were logged off on this computer. Does that help?
Image[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I don't see the Like button :(
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote:I don't see the Like button :(
That's a bummer X! What browser are you using? I'm on Internet Explorer, and what I see is a rectangular "like" button next to the PM button, and then a little Facebook logo and it says either "be the first of your friends to like this" or it tells you who likes it. Then for me, it posts on my FB wall. I'm going to click the Like button on your trip report, see if it shows up on your FB wall.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have IE9
It did show on your FB page.

Oh well...no worries, I don't need to drag all my FB friends into my Forum world any more than they already are
California Girl

Xislandgirl wrote:I have IE9
It did show on your FB page.
I'm on IE8. It showed up on my FB page, but not on yours. Hmmmm. Anthony? How does this work?
Xislandgirl wrote:Oh well...no worries, I don't need to drag all my FB friends into my Forum world any more than they already are
It really is the "InterWeb" isn't it! :shock: :roll:
P-600

Post by P-600 »

It is working for me too. It posted on my FB page with my avatar.
Initially, I pressed the like button before I logged in and it did not work, then tried again logging in. I think you have to be logged in here on the forum, logged in on FB and like/or be a friend of the VIOL forum on FB too??

I actually envisioned the "LIKE" button for this forum to be that you could like someone's comment (ie: if you agreed with/were going to say the same thing, were grateful for their advice but didn't have anything further to add, though it was funny..etc type thing).
I think it would be a way to get a lot of lurker's involved. Not necessarily having anything to do with FB though.

:)

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

P-600 wrote:
I actually envisioned the "LIKE" button for this forum to be that you could like someone's comment (ie: if you agreed with/were going to say the same thing, were grateful for their advice but didn't have anything further to add, though it was funny..etc type thing).
I think it would be a way to get a lot of lurker's involved. Not necessarily having anything to do with FB though.

:)
That would be so great!!!
Image[/url]
California Girl

I see how this can be really good to drive traffic to the forum, and I have no problem with my "like" here, posting on my FB wall, but I was also hoping for the same kind of button you described P600.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

So just a like button for us - for the forum? I get it -
I thought people who did use this kind of wouldn't mind it being on Facebook but it seems that does make some people uncomfortable. And then the Google +1 button is supposed to be coming soon...
Well - consider this a test. Maybe I will take a poll and/or try to find/develop something that counts "likes" but is forum only... problem is I am running 2.x of this forum software and I am really afraid to go to 3.x (where there may be more functionality) because the change may shock to many of you away...
Decisions, decisions...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

I vote: do not like facebook button. tried it last night. Main reason it's a way of tracking our real names
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

shoemak38 wrote:I vote: do not like facebook button. tried it last night. Main reason it's a way of tracking our real names
But only your friends see your name - is that an issue? That is what Facebook is about, no?

For example, I liked this post, and I see that me and Ca. Girl liked it, because we are friends. If other, non-Facebook friends like it, I am just going to see the number of likes.

Or - are you concerned that on Facebook, people will see (again your friends or people who have access to your wall) that you liked something on the forum, follow the link, and then possibly deduce which poster you are?

I mean this like Like button is nearly ubiquitous and I had personally not heard these concerns about it before - so I am both interested and trying to figure out all the angles. I must say already I am leaning on taking it off!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Also - it doesn't really work that well :(
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know this may be hard to believe about me but I like to keep certain areas of my web life private.
I am far too addicted to this site. I spend a considerable amount of time here and a few other forums.
I am friends with Co-workers on FB, as well as clients and my boss, and I would prefer to keep my postings, not just here, from blending over into that realm of networking.
Does that make sense?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Xislandgirl wrote:I know this may be hard to believe about me but I like to keep certain areas of my web life private.
I am far too addicted to this site. I spend a considerable amount of time here and a few other forums.
I am friends with Co-workers on FB, as well as clients and my boss, and I would prefer to keep my postings, not just here, from blending over into that realm of networking.
Does that make sense?
Yes this I can totally understand - so you have your FB friends/family, who know you, your real name, etc. but they don't exactly know you are on this forum or maybe you don't want them to know, etc.

In a case like this - I would just say don't use the "Like" button, right? As I thought about this more today that is sort of the way I was leaning - it is there if you want it - but in no way does anyone have to use it!
California Girl

Anthony - Obviously I don't mind it. I'm very selective about who I friend on FB, and don't network with casual business contacts or anyone I work with.

That being said, I would prefer a "like" button here on the forum to work just on the particular post I like and not the entire thread. Sometimes there are comments I like in a thread, even if I don't like everything in that same thread. I know you're working with software that may not be "tweakable" that way, though.