I LIKE the new "LIKE" button!

Travel discussion for St. John
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

California Girl wrote:Anthony - Obviously I don't mind it. I'm very selective about who I friend on FB, and don't network with casual business contacts or anyone I work with.

That being said, I would prefer a "like" button here on the forum to work just on the particular post I like and not the entire thread. Sometimes there are comments I like in a thread, even if I don't like everything in that same thread. I know you're working with software that may not be "tweakable" that way, though.
like your new photo :roll:
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

I think a simple "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" feature on each comment would be nice. Believe it or not, there are people on this planet (like me) who don't have FB because it's a waste of time.
Bryan
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

shoemak38 wrote:like your new photo :roll:
Thanks shoe!! :)

Bry, you are quite right! I've lost a lot of time to Facebook! (but no regrets, except for that time I clicked on something stupid and got a virus! :shock: )
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Agree with you CG. I would like a like button for a specific comment and not the whole thread.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

BRY1105 wrote:Believe it or not, there are people on this planet (like me) who don't have FB because it's a waste of time.
There are millions of you out there, and I envy you. It has just become a "must do" kind of thing if you are in the online business. I hardly use my personal account -

I think the never ending corportization of it - as compared to how it started out for university students - may just eventually kill it.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Another question for those who are paying attention to this thread - if we could have a simple thumbs up or down, would you want that to also be anonymous? I am looking for modifications to the forum, but most of this stuff involves using your user profile to some point, etc.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

A thumbs up or down would be good. To me it doesn't have to be anonymous. Using the forum name is fine with me, as that's more private than FB, who uses your real name.

Maggy
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Anthony wrote:...if we could have a simple thumbs up or down, would you want that to also be anonymous?
I think there should be a thumbs up button & a thumbs down button on each comment. You should have to be signed in to be able to click either one, but you wouldn't be able to see who thumbed up or down.
Anthony wrote:There are millions of you out there, and I envy you. It has just become a "must do" kind of thing if you are in the online business. I hardly use my personal account -
Thanks Anthony, Im glad Im not alone in the world in thinking that.
Bryan
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

If you are going to use thumbs down, I don't think that one should be anonymous. Kind of mean to a poster to diss something and not be willing to stand up for it. An anonymous thumbs up is different though.

Just my 2c.

Maggy
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think it would be nice to have a like (and/or dislike) button specific to this forum that works like facebook--user name attached. If you offer an anonymous dislike button I can see trouble ahead!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

liamsaunt wrote:If you offer an anonymous dislike button I can see trouble ahead!
True, maybe thumbs shouldn't be anonymous.
Bryan
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

liamsaunt wrote:I think it would be nice to have a like (and/or dislike) button specific to this forum that works like facebook--user name attached. If you offer an anonymous dislike button I can see trouble ahead!
I agree with this 200%. I am a member of another forum that had a platform that allowed people to recommend a post. What happened is that the "rec" button turned into a passive agressive way to anonymously let people know that you didn't like what they had to say. It nearly caused the implosion of the forum and caused us to move to another platform.

I like a Forum Like Button. Like FB, that can show who likes your post.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't know about a "dislike" button, but if it worked like Facebook, where you can just "like" something, I think it should have your forum name attached. I think you're heading for trouble if likes & dislikes are anonymous. I agree with Maggy about people having to stand behind their comments of any kind.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

In a perfect world, I'd prefer to have the like buttons specific to this forum, and not be associated with facebook.
I don't care if the button is annonymous or identified, but can see where annonymous dislikes could create issues.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

I think a like/thumbs up button would be great. I don't like the idea of a thumbs down button-that seems like trouble. I also think you should be able to see who liked it (forum name).

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group