Car seat question for toddler: TY to any moms that can help

Travel discussion for St. John
needmesomesun

Car seat question for toddler: TY to any moms that can help

Post by needmesomesun »

We were going to rent a car seat on STJ for the toddler that is on our trip. But I just remembered the cab ride from the Airport to the ferry. They clearly need a car seat for this, especially to Red Hook. Will we will need to lug a huge car seat all the way from the car at the airport, through the connections, and on the ferry, just for this one ride? I don't have kids, and this is my BIL's first trip to STJ, so this is all new to me. Or do you feel they need the car seat on the plane anyway (baby is 2.5 years old)?

Or are there, perhaps, cab drivers that might have this if I prearrange?

TY!
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

We only brought the carseat/seat down on our first trip with a baby....she was 11 months old. Since then, we would bring a booster seat in We a carseat bag sort of thing, that we would put the booster seat in and a variety of other stuff and check it. At 2.5 I am sure she could even get away with the bottom part. We did that for a while, and then abandoned that idea as well.
PA Girl

Re: Car seat question for toddler: TY to any moms that can

Post by PA Girl »

Is this your BIL's child? If so, let them worry about it and save yourself the stress. Car seats are a hot topic. There are parents who think nothing of going without for the cab ride, others would never dream of it.

If you want to pass along advice, here is what we did -

When he was that age, our son did best on the plane in his car seat. It was the feeling of security and confinement that kept him calm and asleep. (It is easier for them to lean their heads against the carseat.)

This is a great travel seat -

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Produc ... r-Car-Seat

This cannot be used on the plane.

We have travelled with this seat for 3.5 years and I love it. Very light, it folds down into its own carrying case that is the size of a large brief case. It is a 5-point harnass that converts to a regular old booster as the child grows.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

I am not making the decision for them, just compiling info. I wouldn't dream of it :)

That being said, they have never travelled by plane with her and are looking for more information on this topic, so I told them I would throw it out there for advice on how other parents manage this trip with their toddlers. This might be good information for us, and others, for the future.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

needmesomesun wrote:I am not making the decision for them, just compiling info. I wouldn't dream of it :)

That being said, they have never travelled by plane with her and are looking for more information on this topic, so I told them I would throw it out there for advice on how other parents manage this trip with their toddlers. This might be good information for us, and others, for the future.
You are wise!

We travel a lot with our son and, knock wood, it has always gone smoothly. Actually, he travels better than his daddy, who needs meds to stay calm.

How long of a flight will they have? The 4th hour is when our son starts to get whiny.

My quick suggestions for them are to get to the airport early so they aren't rushed.

We have a portable DVD player and that is my son's biggest treat in the world to be able to watch that on the plane.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

It looks like 7.5 hours total plane time (1.5 hours of that is a connection that they will be able to give her some, er, "active" time?). That is not counting the hour or so that it will take them to get to the airport. Then add the cab ride, the ferry, and the ride to the house. This child is a little rambunctious. I am very afraid of what is going to take place on travel day! Hopefully she will be tired or something. I certainly won't be giving her any sugar, lol.

They are also brining an 8 year old who is pretty laid back. I think the DVD is a great idea. I wonder if they have one, if not, I'll have my MacBook.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

We just came back from our first STJ trip with our 2 kids, ages 2 and 4. We took a car service to JFK, so car seats were necessary. We got one free from the limo company, so we brought a booster seat for our older child because it travels easier and is lighter.

We rented our Jeep from a company on St Thomas, which also gave us a car seat for free. So we picked up our car seat (which we checked onto the plane for free) and had another one waiting for us when we arrived. Now we were all set for the ride to Red Hook and we took the car ferry over. We did this, as opposed to renting on STJ, to make it easier to travel with the little ones and it really helped us to make the ride smoother.

We did not use car seats on the plane as some others do.

We also have a friend who lives on STJ with a 1.5 year old. She traveled with her son and used the taxi to Red Hook without a car seat. She said she sat right behind the driver and held him on her lap and buckled him up with her.

Good luck and have a great time!
Tickerless :(
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

This is just info- when flying with a toddler it can be difficult for their ears. A sippy cup, or sucking on a loli pop at take off and landing can be a life saver.
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

I took our daughters car seat on the plane one time and it was a pain. But that was mostly beacuse it was just her and I. (She was about 2 at the time so she was no help in carrying anything. In the taxi ride on STT I would also hold her when she was real little and then I used the booster seat and seat belt when older.

As far as on the plane, we always make sure she has her dvd player. Another trick we had was that I would go out and buy a whole bunch of little items and make sure Emma didn't see them before the trip. Then throughout the flight I would pull out stuff and it would occupy her for a long time. (I would buy little sticker books, little toys, etc. The Dollar Store is very helpful). I also would try to make sure that she would be tired for the flight. If it was first thing in the morning I would keep her up late. If it were later in the day I would forgo a nap. I was always glad when she napped on the plane.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Thanks for all this great advice. Keep the suggestions coming!

PSUwethr - I like the idea of trying to encourage them to be tired by keeping them up the night before, but doesn't this have a 50% percent chance of backfiring and causing *extra cranky* niece? I would be so embarrassed if she was one of "those" children on the plane. Maybe we'll get seats far away and just offer to be their sherpas, just in case :wink:
CHM

Post by CHM »

We just did this a few weeks ago. I rented a car seat from
Island Baby for our two year old. I purchased a special airplane seat belt attachment to make toddlers feel like they are in their car seat as well as keep them safe on the plane. No need to travel with the heavy car seat. We meet Rachel at the airport, climb in her van and I realize ... No car seat for toddler. At that point, nothing really to do. He and I shared a seatbelt and it was fine.
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Last year we traveled with our then 11 mth old. We took our britax marathon carseat in a bag similar to this : http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHEQ8gIwBg

He is not the type to enjoy being in the carseat for long periods of time.

The bag was great because it had lots of extra room in it to put diapers, etc and that bag gets to check for free.

On st Thomas I just held our breath and strapped him in with me as we rode in the taxi to the ca ferry for the shorter cab ride.

Once on st John we used the carseat in our jeep with no problems.

In august we plan to do the same thing.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I held my toddler on my lap in the tax from the airport to Red Hook. No problem. We had a full car seat in our checked luggage and used that the rest of the time.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

To use the car seat or not in a taxi is pretty much up to the parents. Most of the children that live here go without them. That's another debate! But just wanted to share that observation with you. The rates of travel here are much lower than they are in the states, usually topping out at about 25 mph... anyhow!

Also, just want to let people know that they should never put their child on their lap and put the seat belt around both of you. If there were an accident, you would be doing a lot of damage to your child. The force of your body being thrown into theirs and over a seat belt would likely crush them. If you want to use the seat belt on a smaller child, place them in their own seat and use a lap belt only. Same goes for the plane, but the flight attendants will tell you this :) They wont allow you to do it.

For little guys, it's a great idea to have them drink from a sippy cup or something during take off. It helps their ears from the pressure. They don't know how to relieve the pressure like an adult would and the act of swallowing does the trick. And make sure they drink a lot of water. I know it can mean more trips to the bathroom, but it helps fight off dehydration and any illnesses that other people bring on board.

Hope you have a great time!!!
petepie

Post by petepie »

When our kids were still in convertible car seats, we took them down with us (big Britax Marathons - they weigh about 15lbs each), but it was worth it. They were comfortable in their carseats to sleep on the plane, plus I felt that they were safer in the carseats than in the airplane seat with seatbelt. When we got to the STT airport, one time we strapped in the seats in the taxi, another trip we didn't (taxi was full and wouldn't let us strap the seats in). I am normally a nervous nelly about carseats, but as someone else has said, the taxi ride is very low speed, so it was ok with us to just hold each kid. Then we needed the seats again in STJ when we got our rental car. It was a real pain taking the seats down, but I think it was worth it since my kids were used to the feel of their seats, we knew they hadn't been recalled and were ours, and it really helped them sleep on the plane.

Later trips, we graduated to boosters, and they are MUCH easier to deal with than the carseat.

If they bring one, I recommend that they bring one that is rated for airline travel - then you have the seat with you on the plane and you don't have to get it out of checked luggage.

We usually were allowed to board first when we traveled with the Britax seats - it can take a few minutes to get them carried down the aisle and strapped in. Also, FYI, carseats can only be placed in window seats - you can't put them in the middle or aisle seat, they block the exit for the window seat passenger too much.