WWII Pictures - Guam/Guadalcanal 1944

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

WWII Pictures - Guam/Guadalcanal 1944

Post by California Girl »

My dad was a Navy photographer in the South Pacific during World War II. I finally took the time to scan the photos I inherited and have them uploaded to pbase. If you are interested in seeing them, you can access them here: http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/guam__1944
Coden

Post by Coden »

Amazing pictures, CA Girl. Thank you for posting them, it is such an important time in our lives, and good to have pictures to remember. Not that we'll ever forget - but for future generations.
Coden
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Really enjoyed seeing your Dad's photos. A wonderful collection, so cool that you are sharing them.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Fascinating shots. My dad was there in WWII also.

The soldiers don't look so tanned until you get to the shower pic.

Your dad had a great eye!

TM
California Girl

It makes me happy to be able to share them.

Thanks, ToonMan, I think he had a great eye too! You wouldn't believe what great pictures we have in this family! :)
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

great photo's thanks for sharing, I has watching the old Guadalcanal Movie last week photo's tie into the views in movie
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Thanks for sharing, these are WAY cool! I can see a resemblance in the smile from your avatar.
California Girl

bdkane wrote:Thanks for sharing, these are WAY cool! I can see a resemblance in the smile from your avatar.
I would never have admitted it as a teenager, but I am definitely my father's daughter! :D
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Wow Margo - thank you for sharing those. Really beautiful and clear and such depth. I need to go and read up on this time period in our history.

And you certainly do resemble your Dad!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I'm reading a book by Laura Hillenbrand called "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival" that you may enjoy reading. It's about the Pacific theater during WWII.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Wonderful pictures, Thebshot of the young girl carrying her brother is amazing.You are all your Dad, the resemblance is uncanny.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

wow, those are pretty special. thanks for posting.
djmom

Post by djmom »

The artistic "thing" definitely runs in your family! Your museum photo (and others) and it is your brother too that has taken some great shots? Very cool.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
California Girl

Thank you! My hubby, Rick, takes some great pictures, and my brother-in-law is a super good photographer... but I don't know if they count since they're not blood-related to me. :P
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Sure am glad I came upon this post. Margo, these are wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. My husband is a history buff - can't wait to share with him.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:27 am.