1st beach to visit for newbie

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

1st beach to visit for newbie

Post by Hawaii »

I am putting together my folder for our first visit to STJ and I am sure I did ask this question but could not find it so will ask again. What are your favorite beaches for first time visitors. We are a family of four with two kids 10 and 13. We will be snorkeling for the first time. Also, we will be very careful with applying sunscreen but for those of you who go to STJ when you go out the first day how many hours do you stay out and does the sunscreen work for the whole day.

We want to be smart and not get burnt so we can enjoy our whole vacation. I believe myself, daughter and son will be good but my husband tends to burn easily.

Thanks so much as we are all getting ok not getting we are super excited.
rImage
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

we apply sunscreen every 3-4 hours especially since our first trip when I was sunburned so badly when we were snorkeling. Everybody has their personal favorites for beaches but I don't think you can go wrong with a Northshore beach for your first snorkel unless the conditions are bad. Saying that I would go to Maho or Francis. I love absolutely Leinster/Waterlemon but if it were my first trip-I'd probably want to get in as soon as possible. Have fun!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

It's Maho, Maho, Maho for us. It always seems calm and sunny when we are there. 8) There is shade from the Grape leaf trees and it is an easy snorkel on the right side of the beach. Being fair-skinned myself, I just have to keep re-applying as the day goes on. Bringing a baseball cap that you don't mind getting wet will help as well. Plus I wear a short sleeve Rash Guard that works completely. :)
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Hawksnest!

Apply every couple hours.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

For a beach on the first trip I would suggest Hawksnest on the first day. It is the first northshore beach you encounter as you head out of Cruz Bay. There is plenty of shade behind the beach when you've had all the sun you want and there are facilities (changing rooms, bath rooms). Later you can work your way east along the north shore. Maho is another great beach but does not have the shade opportunities that Hawksnest does.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

Francis....Maho...and Hawksnest...all on the same side of the island...Just reapply as needed...just as you do at home. Have a blast!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks all - I was thinking Maho might be a good first beach since it will be the closest to our villa. We are staying on Bordeaux Mt. and looking forward to trying as many beaches as we can but I want to start with the calmest beaches as we are first time snorkelers. Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
rImage
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I burn easy too. I suggest putting sunblock on right when you get out of bed. The sun is so strong I could get burned before breakfast. I wear 30 constantly and have been okay so far (tan no burn). Remember to get ears, elbows,and behind the knees these spots are often overlooked. Have Fun!!!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

No doubt in my mind your first stop should be Maho. It's roadside, easy to find, and easy parking, the water is gentle and the view is fantastic.
I suggest everyone bring and wear a short sleeve t shirt or rash guard when swimming and snorkeling. My daughter got a sunburn so badly on her shoulders from building sandcastles because she wore a regular bathing suit (even though we applied waterproof 50 sunscreen multiple times).
Have a great time!
Tickerless :(
patr

Post by patr »

Definitely Maho, great w/kids! We always stay ALL DAY!
Just be diligent and reapply the sunscreen, or move into the shade, which is quite easy to find. We love Neutrogena spray, it does a great job of covering, 50SPF for hubs and 30 for me! :D
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

All the North shore beaches are great now. All are fairly calm. Do Treat your self to a drive and a little hiketo Salt Pond and Hike to Drunk Bay. Very often you will see turtles and sting rays out around the first bouys at Salt Pond Bay and it is calm snorkeling. Do it early and go over to Drunk bay first so it will be cooler. I would reserve going around some of the keys or out to some of the larger points untill you feel more confident , and just judge the current. Definatly apply sunscreen before you leave the villa and every hr. or 2 depending on your skin. Absoulutly wear a rash guard, and don't for get to have the girls bend over and get the little cheeks that always stick up when snorkeling. Enjoy your first trip and get ready to start planning your next!!! :wink:
LindaLa

Post by LindaLa »

Hawksnest! It is the beach we go to first everytime we visit. We go the left towards the end of the beach. There is plenty of shade there. If the water is choppy, you can go to Francis or Caneel. We love Salt Pond but the hike to the beach from the parking lot might be too much for your children (I don't know how old they are). We went to Caneel Bay twice this past trip. It is a beautiful beach and very calm. The snorkeling is also good.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Lindala - Our kids are 13 and 10 so they do not mind walking or hiking to a beach.
rImage
conchman

1st beach

Post by conchman »

If everyone in your party is a good swimmer and good at snorkling then Maho it is! If anyone needs to practice a little then try Hawksnest first, nice easy entry, as I remember corals heads to the left and right. As Maho has a drop off you will see more there than at Hawksnest, possible tarpon, nurse shark and eagle rays. If all are excellent at snorkling I would suggest Lameshur(sp?), Worth the drive. Small reef to center/right is ok, but follow rock line on left side and out to the point, that is really fun! All of these conditions change with the weather so if the north is swelling, head to Salt or Lameshur (SP?)
Also when on south side, stop at Tourist Trap and see Larry...good, fair priced food...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Conchman - This will be our first time snorkeling for everyone but me. We are going to try to practice in my sisters pool when the kids get out of school this week. My only time snorkeling was on a senior college trip which I never did learn but that was mostly ok probably all due to our drinking and the fact that we were out on a boat and not from the water. Maho is closest to our villa that is why I thought maybe that would be a good beach to try first but we are pretty laid back so anywhere will be fine. Thanks so much.
rImage