STJ power ourage

Travel discussion for St. John
RD

STJ power ourage

Post by RD »

Power went out about 2a this morning (at least in the Chocolate Hole area). Anyone on-island got any power or is this an island-wide outage?
RD

Post by RD »

Back on here about 3:20a.
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

STT has been on and off all night also so it's not just STJ. WAPA has a unit down so the system is over stressed. :-(
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

And wouldn't you know it, one of the first news stories I read this morning was about how WAPA is going to increase their rates. The outages have been pretty bad in recent months. :(
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

WAPA has Unit 18 down awaiting parts - this is a 21.8 MegaWatt generator - without it they can barely cover normal usage -- as the temperature is so warm many people are using the AC and of course the schools,Govt. offices and stores and many of the resorts and condo complexes ar designed to run with AC so the system will continue to be overstressed as the infrastructure continues to expand and build.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Close down the Government - we all know thats a waste of energy :shock:
stjohnnewbie

Post by stjohnnewbie »

And verrrrrrry little breeze.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Is the power situation resolved on STJ? On STT there is still rotating outages - and no mention of a time frame for recovery.
hugo

Post by hugo »

We have had power most of the day, keeping our fingers crossed about tonight.

Worst non-hurricane related WAPA situation I can remember since the 70s.
stjohnnewbie

Post by stjohnnewbie »

It was out again last night and this morning. Wouldn't be so bad if not for having no water when power is out.

Although I thought they would just say the bathrooms were closed, I never expected to go to a fairly nice restaurant and be told essentially "If it's yellow, let it mellow." :shock:
Pia

Post by Pia »

Out again this am but only for 45 mins or so - welcome to summer :(

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
stjohnnewbie

Post by stjohnnewbie »

We heard it was out for several hours this morning in Cruz Bay.

All from a drunk driver?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

3 of WAPA's 7 generators are down for repair or regular maintenance - one of the remaining 4 is operating sub-par - they cannot produce the normal 80 MegaWatt draw to run STT-STJ so will be on rotating outages for the remainder of this weekend and into mid week next week - there are some stateside engineers coming down to assist the local employees try and get one or more of the non-workings units back online.It is a grim foreboding of the future capability of WAPA to provide enough power to our Islands. They are currently in negotiation with Puerto Rico to provide a connection to their grid but that is not a short term project expected to be agreed to or even completed soon.
williamk

Post by williamk »

Friends who live there also told me that they had a power outage in the mid of June. They already thought about a power rental in order to bypass the period without power. The best solution for them would be to rent a generator. As far as I know they haven't done it yet but if such a outage will occur more often they will definitely rent or even buy a generator.