Meniere's

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
lprof

Meniere's

Post by lprof »

Anyone suffer from Meniere 's Disease?
I do and today I experienced the worst attack ever... total knock down and fall over. Terrible. Fortunately, I was just getting up and fell back onto the bed.
I had read how debilitating this is; now I know first hand... literally am not able to move.
I would appreciate any experiences you have to share. This disease seems different in many ways for each person as to symptoms, causes and treatments.
Thanks for listening!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I remember you mentioning something about being ill a while back, but I don't know anything about Meniere's Disease, I'll have to do some Googling. I'm SO sorry to hear this, I hope you feel better soon my friend!
augie

Post by augie »

Gee Linda, I hope you feel a lot better, SOON!

:cry:
Come see us!
California Girl

I just found out what Meniere's is. I had Bipositional Vertigo and it was NOT fun! I feel for you Linda! Does the Epley Maneuver work for you at all? Being dizzy is very debilitating!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh gosh, sorry to hear you aren't well.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I'm sorry I have no info on the disease.

Hope you get much better soon, Linda. Take care of yourself.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thanks guys! I am such a wimp... this has been ongoing for years, but has given me much time out lately. Today, I sat up in bed and it felt like someone hit me with a bat twice and I was down! Have been flat out all day, taking Meclizine and will be on some Valium as soon as I get it. So much to do and can't even get up without help ... hate it!
:cry:
Although not a medical site, wiki tells it like it is for me pretty well :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease

Margo, your mentioned problem is a little different... the crystals that get out of place can often be put back by that move... I have been trained to use a balance ball for that. Sometimes that only happens once, and I hope that you have had your time! Meniere's is damage to the balance portion of the inner ear... tinnitus, hearing loss and balance loss.
Why? Not really known. Cure? Not yet. Diet, diuretic, antihistamines, exercises... none have worked very well so far. Life in Florida? Hope not!
Yes, I am bored... but can only iPad it so long before the eyes go... so grateful for good days and especially for the good friends! :wink:
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

SO sorry to hear about that- it sounds terrible! Hoping that you get better really soon!
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I was misdiagnosed with Meniere's several years back, so I know a lot about it because I did a lot of reading on the disease at that time. It can be very debilitating. I'm sorry to hear you had an attack. I ended up actually having benign paroxismal positional vertigo (i'm sure I spelled something wrong in there), and the Epley manuever changed my life. Even my BPPV attacks render me useless at times, so I can only imagine how a true Meniere's attack feels.

Thoughts are with you, friend. At least you get to take Valium.

PS - I am one of those rare BPPV cases that occurs spontaneously in young people (I was 25 when I had my first, multi-month episode). No head injury, just woke up one morning and my world was spinning and my eyes went back and forth like a slot machine every time I rolled over and tipped my head back. Vertigo sucks.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Sorry your going through this lprof. I hope you feel better soon.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Coden

Post by Coden »

I'm so sorry for your illness, it sounds horrible, and I wish I could do something for you. :)

And for you both, alw1977 and Ca Girl - take care.
Coden
California Girl

When I got my vertigo, it was first thing in the morning and I woke up, turned my head to the side and everything went spinning...for about 6 weeks. Ugh. There were times when it wasn't so bad and I could get to work, but other times when all I did was throw up from the motion sickness. They also gave me Meclizine for that.

I know it can come back, and just the thought of it creeps me out. In the end it was the Epley that cured me, so now I feel better "armed" against it. I'm bummed that it doesn't work in your case.
lprof

Post by lprof »

"Thanks" seems very insufficient to convey how much I appreciate your "get wells", sharing your experiences, and staying connected with me... but I truly do appreciate each of you. I know that several of you have had or are having difficult times too. Sadly, life has ups and downs... sometimes the only way to go is up... keep climbing!

Moving into this holiday weekend, I hope everyone has safe travels, breathtaking fireworks, and all the apple pie you can eat! Happy July 4th!
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

So sorry to hear you are suffering.

I too have Menieres. The worst for me is the vomiting and the world spinning. It has been almost 2 months now since an "attack". As I have low blood pressure to start with the diuretic made me feel almost as dizzy at first.

Have you lost much of your hearing?

Hope you can enjoy the long weekend.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Beth Cruz wrote:So sorry to hear you are suffering.
I too have Menieres. The worst for me is the vomiting and the world spinning. It has been almost 2 months now since an "attack". As I have low blood pressure to start with the diuretic made me feel almost as dizzy at first.
Have you lost much of your hearing?
Hope you can enjoy the long weekend.
Beth, I appreciate your response on this nasty illness.
I, too, hate the nausea and spinning, but the lack of balance in walking and bending over is the hardest long term battle for me to get under control. 36 hours have passed and I still have too little balance to get up and walk anywhere by my self; moving my head at all sends everything spinning. I can sit up in bed, holding my head still. Valium has not been the friend I used to know many years ago!
Yes, I have lost some hearing in both ears; I am not too bothered by it yet, thank goodness.
I suspect my weekend will be quiet. Hope you have a terrific 4th!