Olympus Cameras

Travel discussion for St. John
SanDiegoMark

Olympus Cameras

Post by SanDiegoMark »

Just thought I'd warn you'all that my 3rd brand new Olympus 1030SW just leaked again. The first time I assumed it was my fault because I thought one of the compartments must not have been snapped totally shut. After buying the new version (1030 good down to 10 meters) I double checked all the compartments before snorkeling. It leaked on vacation and sent it back. They sent me a refurbished camera and now I'm here on STJ and both compartments leaked on my second snorkel. I never dive below 6ft, so this is an issue with the camera - not me. What a piece of crap!
Muhaha

Re: Olympus Cameras

Post by Muhaha »

SanDiegoMark wrote:Just thought I'd warn you'all that my 3rd brand new Olympus 1030SW just leaked again. The first time I assumed it was my fault because I thought one of the compartments must not have been snapped totally shut. After buying the new version (1030 good down to 10 meters) I double checked all the compartments before snorkeling. It leaked on vacation and sent it back. They sent me a refurbished camera and now I'm here on STJ and both compartments leaked on my second snorkel. I never dive below 6ft, so this is an issue with the camera - not me. What a piece of crap!
Wow, that's terrible and sounds frustrating as hell. My wife bought me an Olympus Stylus Tough last year and I have taken it in the water probably a dozen times, no issues. Perhaps I just got lucky, but I love the camera.
slatteryjt@gmail.com

Underwater camera leak

Post by slatteryjt@gmail.com »

Several people had similar problems on a recent cruise. A profession on board offered two trips to avoid problems

1) Don't jump into the water holding the camera(have someone hand it to you after you are in)
2) Don't swim with the camera in your hands - leave it around your neck or in a pocket until you are ready to use.

He said both of these actions create a lot more force on the camera body than taking it to 10M and cause leaks
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

I had an Olympus a few years ago. The first one leaked and the replacement was a refurbished ont that leaked first time in the water. I bought a Fugi Fine pix for half the price and it does a terrific job. I have had it for almost 3 years and it has been to St John at least 6 times and underwater everyday. It takes great photos both in the water and out of the water. And it is very small so easy to carry when snorkling.
Muhaha

Re: Underwater camera leak

Post by Muhaha »

slatteryjt@gmail.com wrote:Several people had similar problems on a recent cruise. A profession on board offered two trips to avoid problems

1) Don't jump into the water holding the camera(have someone hand it to you after you are in)
2) Don't swim with the camera in your hands - leave it around your neck or in a pocket until you are ready to use.

He said both of these actions create a lot more force on the camera body than taking it to 10M and cause leaks
That is really awesome advice and makes a lot of sense!
Also, I checked and the Stylus Tough is actually a 6020, so different models perhaps?
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We are on our 4th or 5 th olympus water proof camera. I forget. They have always replaced them. They are only good for about half of a 2 week trip to STJ. Last year purchased a 2nd camera. A fugi waterproof. It also died 1 week in. Lesson: Have 2 waterproof cameras, use 1 until it dies, then use 2nd the remainder of the time. It will die at about the end of the trip. Take them home and turn in for warrenty claim. We've done this for the last three years. Have learned to always buy the extended warrenty. It's only about 25.00. Also I might add that we always use the cameras properly and give them the proper care before and after use.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I got an Olympus 1030SW in 2008 and it leaked, never having been in more than about a foot of water. I was super careful with it, I think the camera is just no good.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Cindy in pa wrote:I had an Olympus a few years ago. The first one leaked and the replacement was a refurbished ont that leaked first time in the water. I bought a Fugi Fine pix for half the price and it does a terrific job. I have had it for almost 3 years and it has been to St John at least 6 times and underwater everyday. It takes great photos both in the water and out of the water. And it is very small so easy to carry when snorkling.
My 770sw was great from 2006 until 2009 when it leaked. I had it "repaired" but since it was a different color, it was probably a refurb. That one leaked after just 4 days into our recent February trip. I sent it back and they repaired it free of charge. I'm guessing there is a good chance it will leak when we go down in September. We too have a Fuji Z33WP backup (1/3 the cost) that has been working fine.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

Our fugi leaked too. The first day.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We bought the 770 in 07 and it leaked...we sent it back and it was repaired..( I placed it in a Hot tub) not sure if that had anything to do with it or not..We took it to STJ in 09 and it leaked once again..We bought the newer model 8000 ( I think thats what it is) BUT we also bought the underwater housing for it..Yes its more expensive but sooooo worth the extra investment...and peace of mind...not one leak since.. We use it here at home in the pool and of course anywhere we go there is water...(waterparks etc.) Therefore I suggest just to buy the housing for whatever camera you get..saves alot of trouble..not to mention the headache of being on STJ and having your camera leak..
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Our Vivitar 6200W "tank" never leaks...

awardb

Post by awardb »

We used the exact same Vivitar for possibly 3 visits to STJ. But last year, it leaked. :-((

We just bought a new Panasonic TS3, and we're due in STJ on Aug. 2nd, so we shall see.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I'm in the market for an underwater camera and all these leakage reports are not making me feel too well. :(
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Jumbiegirl wrote:I'm in the market for an underwater camera and all these leakage reports are not making me feel too well. :(
Yeah even the Canon D10 that many had high hopes for have had leaking problems.

In the enternal search for a more reliable UW camera, the new Panasonic DMC-TS3A might be worth a look - LOTS of nifty features for $300, and it sounds like they are paying more attention to designing against leakage if you read under “Structural Elements Supporting Outdoor Performance” here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... amera.html

Reviews so far comment on the “rugged” build and just maybe because its pretty new, and in a very limited search, I didn’t see any reviews about leakage yet. In my experience, Panasonic makes well designed and well built products.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

Like I said, we always travel with 2 now. Have had a total of 6 different waterproof cameras, all have leaked. We get extended warrenty, always take 2 cameras, and they get replaced under warrenty when we get home.