Anyone seen this?

Travel discussion for St. John
JJShaw

Anyone seen this?

Post by JJShaw »

I hope I not speaking out of place here...but has anyone seen this..or know anything about it? Were these photos taken on STJ?

http://no-see-um.blogspot.com/search/la ... g%20sharks
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Yikes! Hope not! :shock:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

I thought that there were pretty big sharks (5 foot) in Coral Bay and not Cruz Bay. Could be worng though. Either way, would not want to meet one of those guys while snorkeling!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I had a good friend who was a fisherman on St. Thomas - if you are out sport fishing, in deep water, tuna and wahoo fishing, etc. these things are out there. And unfortunately a lot of fisherman do kill sharks, especially if they are in the way of their cash fishing operations...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yes I am pretty sure that these photos are related to a new (I think) St. John-based fish charter service called Shark Bites or something like that. They are tiger sharks and they are definitely present in the deep waters--not where you would be snorkeling, not to worry!

Personally I do not understand why people would want to fish for these sharks--you cannot eat them, so why not leave them alone?

Aha, a google search led to a brief article about this company's practices:

http://www.sharkdiver.com/blog/45-indus ... gets-worse
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes I think most people here are upset that they are killing them for no reason - they are out "in the deep" so to speak and pose no threat to snorkelers along the shoreline of St John (at least not at this time)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I saw a link about this on another site a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember which site. It disturbs me.
Pia

Post by Pia »

It disturbs you because they are killing them needlessly or because there are sharks in the ocean off St John ?

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Pia wrote:It disturbs you because they are killing them needlessly or because there are sharks in the ocean off St John ?

Pia
The senseless killing.

I am a tiny bit bothered by the thought of the sharks in the ocean but, like my fear of snakes and rogue waves, I realize it is an irrational fear.
Coden

Post by Coden »

I am totally disgusted that these precious creatures are being murdered. Why do this??? :cry: :cry:
Coden
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

It seems TOTALLY senseless to kill them for no reason, or just to make a buck.

It is my understanding that sharks are fairly intelligent creatures(at least that what animal planet tells me) I would be concerned that these generally harmless Tiger sharks get pissed off watching their buddies getting killed and turn from "hunted into hunter" "and go and hunt somebody down..."
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Sickening! :cry:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:06 am.