Jost Van Dyke question

Travel discussion for St. John
beach1

Jost Van Dyke question

Post by beach1 »

We will be making our 2nd trip to St.John soon :) and would like to visit Jost Van Dyke as a day trip. My question is what is the best way to go? Ferry and rent a car, ferry and taxi around, or other options? We would like to have a few drinks, swim and have lunch. Not necessarily in that order! Any tips on favorite bars, restaurants and beaches are appreciated! Thanks!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We took the ferry last month. The fare was $75 per round trip. The crossing takes about a half hour. We got off at the customs office and checked in. We took a taxi over to White Bay and spent a good deal of the day at the Soggy Dollar. We walked the length of the beach from the rocks to the western end. We then had the taxi pick us up at 1 pm. He dropped us off at Foxy's for lunch. He came back to pick us up and dropped us at the ferry. It was a good day. We also got the first stamp in Hot Wings' brand new passport. 8)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

beach1

Post by beach1 »

Thank you Jim! Where does the ferry actually let you off?
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The customs office is on the west side of Great Harbor.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Agree with Jimg20
Connie

Post by Connie »

That's strange because when we took the ferry from STT to STJ (to pick other people), we had to stop in Tortola for customs. Then we headed to Jost Van Dyke??
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
54b

Post by 54b »

Connie wrote:That's strange because when we took the ferry from STT to STJ (to pick other people), we had to stop in Tortola for customs. Then we headed to Jost Van Dyke??
We went the same route when we took the ferry to Jost a few years back...the explanation we got was that there were several locals from STJ aboard who were going to Tortola to attend a funeral.

Instead of waiting in line to clear customs on Jost, we cleared on Tortola and didn't effect travel time all that much.

To Beach1, I'd suggest taking the ferry if it's just the two of you. You'll have a bout 5 hours on island. It'll be $150 for the ride and BVI customs fee plus another $15 to $20 for getting around Jost via taxi...which is easy to do, though I'd keep the taxi guy's number on you and arrange passage back from White Bay to the ferry dock. It's only like a mile up and over the hill and can be walked, but just know that when they say that ferry back to STJ leaves at 3pm, they mean it...and that's your only public mode of transportation option until the next morning.

If there's 3 or 4 or more of you, I'd suggest looking into a day sail or power boat charter. It'll be closer to $125 to $150 per person, but I think you'll appreciate the flexibility to go more places and ability to stay out longer...more like an 8 hour day.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

For a first time visit, I find it's most cost effective to take the ferry and just do a taxi.

The only time I rent a car is when we stay overnight on Jost and then it makes the most sense.

You'll get about 5 solid hours on Jost and if you stick to the main areas like Foxy's or Soggy Dollar you'll get the most out of your first time stay.

Of course there's more to see on JOst, but it's a good way to get your feet wet (pardon the pun).

After that you may decide that you want more time and more flexibility and opt to charter a boat for the day (tehre are plenty of wonderful options).

Either way, you'll have a blast!
*Another fine scatterbrained production