Newbie question on best options to get from airport to ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
Geddy3

Newbie question on best options to get from airport to ferry

Post by Geddy3 »

Hello! Did some searching through the forum and could not find a definite answer. Will be coming to St. John first week of September (no hurricanes allowed!) and will be staying on St. John. What are the best (and least expensive) options for getting from the St. Thomas airport to the ferry? Will be arriving at 2PM on Sunday afternoon if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Gary
Pia

Post by Pia »

Your only option is taxi to Red Hook ($15.00 per person plus $2 per bag - sometimes they charge for bags other time not you just have to go with the flow) and then ferry to St John $6.00 per person and $2 per bag. You will probably be on the 4pm Red Hook.

The reason I say "only option" is the next ferry from CA is at 5:30pm arriving on STJ at 6:05pm - 6:15pm and I figured you wouldn't want to wait that long and the cost works out the same anyway (cheaper taxi more expensive ferry but they work out to be the same as a more expensive taxi and cheaper ferry)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

Pia is absolutely right, as usual , but I would recommend the Red Hook Ferry over the CA Ferry. It's a leisurely taxi ride and if you get there early for your ferry there are wonderful island beverages in the Terminal. As they say, Time flies when you're having rum. Have a great trip.
How many more days?
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I would also consider calling Rachel for a private taxi. The taxis at the airport wait until they have every seat filled. Then they generally make numerous stops between the airport and ferry terminal. The cost, as noted above, is $15 per person and $2 per bag. A regular taxi will cost a couple with three bags $36.

Rachel, on the other hand, meets you at the airport, loads your bags and takes you straight to the ferry terminal. Her cost is $20 per person. $36 or $40 per couple. It's up to you. We took Rachel the first time this year. We are not going back to the public taxis.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Amen to Rachel. It's a great start to your vacation. She can handle from 2 to 6 easily.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We also love Rachel. But, the last time we took her it was $25 for 2 ($20 for more) plus tip.

Money well spent for us. Much more relaxing option.
janet
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Call Rachel! 340-771-2986
For 2 to Redhook it is $25 a piece. For more than 2 it will be $20 a piece.

I know I sing her praises a lot, but she is just a really nice woman that will entertain you the entire trip with stories about her life and STT.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Highly recommend Rachel! Used her for the first time this summer and it made the whole experience MUCH more pleasureable. With Rachel, you are in a well air conditioned van with people you know and a nice, sweet lady that knows St. Thomas as opposed to being crammed in a van full of hot sweatty strangers.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band