Heading to St. Johns November 5th

Travel discussion for St. John
btheis

Heading to St. Johns November 5th

Post by btheis »

Staying at the westin, 2 br villa. We are bringing our two kids (5 and 1) as well as the in-laws for kid help.

I need advice on 2 things:

1. Is it better to get groceries on St. Thomas or will we be fine shopping on St. Johns? We will be on sort of a budget with 6 mouths to feed.

2. Any advice on fun bars I can sneak off to? I'm going to be with my kids and in-laws. Enough said.

Any other fun ideas, restaurant recommendations, or recommendations for kid activities is appreciated.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Congrats on your upcoming trip and welcome to the forum!
The first advice is you can drop the s on the end of St. Johns! St. John is all you need~ :P

The Starfish Market on St. John is very close to the Westin will have everything you need for groceries. If you can, you could bring a rolling cooler with you with frozen meats and stuff to cut down on the cost of buying everything there.

Fun bars? Beach Bar! Woody's! Or even the bar by the Westin pool!

Just make sure you hit as many North Shore beaches as you can. Your kiddos will love the calm waters at Maho and beautiful Trunk and Cinnamon Bay's.

Have a blast! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
CarolJLF

Post by CarolJLF »

I assume you mean you're heading to St John, USVI ... St. Johns is in Canada! LOL!
Pia

Post by Pia »

You will have a great time - make sure you reserve your car yesterday if you have not done so.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Hello- welcome to the forum,
We stayed at the Westin last year and my 4 year old LOVED the camp, he wanted to go every day.
The market is very convenient, no more than a 5 minute walk from the Westin and they had everything.
Regarding "sneaking off" staying at the Westin it couldn't be easier, there are always taxis out front to run you to town, very easy.

Enjoy your trip
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The St John Market is near the Westin and is similar to Starfish in selection quality and price. You may have to go to both to find what you need. Sometimes you get some at Starfish, some at Dolphin and some at STJ Market.

We bring a cooler full of frozen meat. It stayes frozen through the 12 hour trip from our freezer to the villa's freezer.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hi! We just had a large group that stayed at the Westin and had a blast. St John Market is definately your closest bet, go out to main road and make a left and it is just up a bit on your right. I definately recommend picking up subs from there, just remember they are on Island Time and you will do fine. The turkey subs were amazing and the price was much cheaper than eating at the Westin every day. The kids will probably love the Crab Mon who puts on hermit crab races and gives out great prizes and don't miss the iguana feeding which takes place daily. They advertise bobbing for soda (pop) at the pool but immediately following they do bobbing for beer for the adults. You basically jump in and grab as many as you can in the time alloted.

When you swim in the water at the Westin just remember this is a manmade beach and the clarity DOES NOT COMPARE to that of the North Shore beaches. Hope you and your family have a blast!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We prefer to do our grocery shopping on STT to save money. We rent our Jeep at the airport and stop for groceries before boarding the car barge to STJ.

As for bars, what are you looking for in a bar? Potentially rowdy? Calm? Music? Good drinks?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Bill in Va

We will be there at the same time ...almost same situation

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo...Our troop includes grand kids 6 year old and his 20 month at time sister and the the parents of course, another Grand Ma and us the other grands. We will be near you and plan on going to the Westin Beach if they have the Crab Mon day which is a real HOOT. I think you may need two vehicles if you plan on seeing other beaches. There is a forum deal at the Beach Bar on Sundays so please put that on your calendar...more to come on that as we get closer. PM me with any questions...God bless..Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Looks like the Crab Mon is having races on the 6th of November. You can check it out on http://www.westinresortstjohn.com/st-jo ... s-calendar

Have fun!