Fun & Contentment or One Particular Harbor?

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Fun & Contentment or One Particular Harbor?

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think we have narrowed it down but you never know with me!

I have looked at reviews and old posts but wondering if anyone has anything else to add.

My only concern with F&C is the lack of a covered deck area.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

X - I am pretty sure Jan (Jan & Mike in VA) stayed at One Particular Harbor. Not positive though. I looked at the two websites and my first thought on F&C was the same thing you mentioned about lack of covered area. I know you (like me) need to be able to spend lots of time outside :lol: and not having the option of shade would bother me.

Keep us posted.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
conchman

Post by conchman »

We stayed at FC last year. Did not notice the porch issue...can't exactly take the porch to Maho! We spend most of our time away from the house during the day so it was ok for us. Found FC to be a nice house...good view...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

We stayed at OPH several years ago. Nothing to add, really, but would definitely return and enjoyed their patio very much. If you plan to use the pool's heater, be sure they show you how it works. I recall we had some trouble with that.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We have booked OPH for later this year and were told that the Pool Heater is no longer operational due to many issues. This will be our 8th trip and first staying in Coral Bay. We also enjoy the sunsets but wanted to explore this area of the Island. I hope we enjoy it as much as our pervious visits.
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

We stayed at OPH last summer for 10 days. It was our 3rd trip to SJ. I would return to OPH in a heartbeat! LOVE that house! The views, esp at mid day, are incredible! THe house is really well equipped, nice size! We at Orchid Knoll one time, too, and we thought that was the best view on the island, but OPH beats it! The ride up to the villa takes some getting used to - and initial courage! But that is how you get that view!
nancyr84

Post by nancyr84 »

We stayed at OPH in 2007 and loved it. The pool was heated then and would love to come back but hear the pool is really cold since it is no longer heated.We like our pool time. Can anyone comment that has stayed there recently. Probably the best view IMO of all the houses we have stayed at.
Nancy
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Thanks for the feedback.I have been getting emails and PMs from a ton of people about both and we are weighing the good with the bad.

I am nervous about staying in Coral Bay, so I need to be sure that the house works for me. Our friends really love Coral Bay, so the house is not as important to them as it is to me.

I am used to being in Cruz Bay every night, so this will be a totally different vacation.

Thanks again for the input!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

X - this past summer was my first time staying in Coral Bay even though I had been dying to do it for years. I LOVED it!

It is more laid back and we spent more time at night at the villa rather than being in town partying but it was perfect. It was just so relaxing!

Parking was never an issue anywhere we went...except when we went to Cruz Bay, and it was just so much more of the true "island time" feel if you ask me. Plus it's so close to my favorite beaches.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

That's funny, VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl, Orchid Knoll is the other villa we have rented in Coral Bay - we've stayed there five times and love it. This year we are actually doing the reverse of the OP - we're staying over on the Cruz Bay side at Blue Agave. We shared a taxi with a gentleman who raved about Blue Agave so much we decided to give it a try. I am actually nervous about leaving Coral Bay for Cruz Bay, lol.
GregsMom

Fun and Contentment or OPH

Post by GregsMom »

X-
We stayed at OPH a few years ago in mid-May and absolutely loved it. The views are awesome, and it was quiet and peaceful. Road was challenging but doable.
The pool heater was not working when we were there, but it was still okay- and I prefer a warm pool. I think the pool water temps might be okay from May-early October; maybe the villa company will tell you how many hours of sun it gets in each season? House was lovely and well equipped. A covered/shaded outside area is an absolute must for us.
I thought that a while back someone had some issues with Fun and Contentment. Sorry, I really can't recall any details...I tried a search but could not turn up anything.

gm
lavender

Post by lavender »

We stayed at OPH a few years ago in late April/early May. We LOVED it - absolutely fabulous, well-equipped villa. The pool was great and there was no issue with the pool being heated - it was lovely. One outstanding feature is the covered porches/decks - absolutely glorious, glorious views and many places to perch and just take it all in. My only caveat is the master bedroom is downstairs and you must walk outside to get to it - it was great for us and no issue but if you are staying with small children you may not want to have them in the main house and you in the separate master.