Question about Day Sails to Jost Van Dyke

Travel discussion for St. John
avery11

Question about Day Sails to Jost Van Dyke

Post by avery11 »

We are staying in St. Johns for a week --lucky us--and are interested in recommendations about day sails to Jost Van Dyke. It is our first trip to virgin Islands.
gigi
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

avery11

Re: Question about Day Sails to Jost Van Dyke

Post by avery11 »

avery11 wrote:We are staying in St. Johns for a week --lucky us--and are interested in recommendations about day sails to Jost Van Dyke. It is our first trip to virgin Islands.
gigi
loria

Post by loria »

We had a truly excellent trip to Jost with Captain Han of Sail Safari's in the Dell Rose-- it was an outstanding day.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Went with Capt. Phil on the Wayward Sailor...snorkel/sail/Jost... It was great!!!!!

Got wonderful reviews of Keoka from Forum Friends!!!! And would like to sail with them some time.

I know that both actually "sail" the trip instead of motering like some do.

Capt. Phil's trip will be a smaller group on a smaller, but really nice boat. He is very knowlagable and is great with middle to older kids (ones that can really snorkel).
avery11

Post by avery11 »

Thanks! We are definitely interested in one with active sailing instead of motoring so that is a great point.
gigi
burgec

Post by burgec »

We always enjoy Capt Phil/Wayward. It is a bit of a sail so like others mentioned if you want to get right over there a motor would work better. Personally we are on island time and in no hurry so quite enjoy bobbing around in the Caribbean listening to his stories, plus the snorkel stop.

Another one of those things you probably can't mess up.
loria

Post by loria »

I think most anyone woudl give you a great sail-- so it sort of depends on where you want to be and what you want to do --Captain Phil is really terrific and we have been out with him several times (once to jost) he is extremely knowledgeable about marine life and will make snorkel stops on the way --when we sailed to Jost with him we spent all of our time there in Great Harbor, had lunch at Foxy's , etc--I am not sure if he dislikes going over to White Bay or if it was a time issue--

With Sail Safari's we checked in at great harbor and stayed for about an hour then sailed over to White bay for Lunch -- We snorkeled on the way back at whistling Cay, but were also given the option of dropping the snorkel stop if we wanted to stay longer at white bay (i would have gladly done that--but others were anxious to snorkel)

both boats are very comfortable and both captains really excellent.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Another vote for Captain Han with Sail Safaris- he is excellent! Will customize the trip however you want it and is an excellent sailor, very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, too.
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

We've done a couple of these sails, and there are lots of choices. We like small boats/groups and can recommend both. Your choice may also depend on whether you'd like to sail on a monohull or a catamaran.

For a monohull, we absolutely LOVED Survivan. Jason & Lou Carter live on-board and run charter day-sails from like November-June. Really fun couple and a nice boat that feels like you're 'home' for the day on the water.

For a small catamaran, we also loved Fly Girl, which is another Sail Safaris boat. Excellent trip. We took our kids for their first sail on this boat (they were 11 & 14 at the time)
KT
joellg

Post by joellg »

Sorry to add to this, but I too was wondering about this. Id be more interested in a day sail with a catamaran that'll fit 6-12 people, in October. Any suggestions? Ive briefly looked at S.Y.Orion, Scubadu, and Calypso.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I don't know Orion, Scubadu does not sail BVI anymore (unless he has changed recently) - both Kekoa and Calypso are great. Let me know if you want my help booking (at no charge of course) as that is what I do - just send a PM but you will get great reviews here too. The other sail (but 6 passengers max) that I love are Cloud 9 and Wayward but Wayward goes to Foxy's not Soggy 99.9% of the time.

Also, I don't know what time of year you are here but currently only Wayward is available for a sail - all others are out until November (except Cloud 9 who returns end of September) and the Catamarans do not have full trips everyday.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
savvy

Post by savvy »

When we made the trip with Captain Phil a couple of years ago, he introduced us to Foxy and we had an opportunity to chat and take some photos with him.