How's the smoking ban playing out?

Travel discussion for St. John
Lex

How's the smoking ban playing out?

Post by Lex »

Boston is proposing stricter smoking regulations and it made me curious how the ban has played out on STJ. I don't recall any recent posts about it, so I imagine it's gone smoothly.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Seems to be working out pretty good. We still have a number of tourists who smoke while walking around. Sometimes someone tells them something, sometimes they don't, but you don't have smoking at the bars any more. I know of a couple of locals who have taken it upon themselves to be the smoking police :) They will tell people that can't smoke, whether or not it's within 20 feet of a business or not. Haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket as of yet.
loria

Re: How's the smoking ban playing out?

Post by loria »

Lex wrote:Boston is proposing stricter smoking regulations and it made me curious how the ban has played out on STJ. I don't recall any recent posts about it, so I imagine it's gone smoothly.
Boston is only just doing this? I thought they had a ban in place already?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Boston has had a smoking ban in restaurants and other public places for some years now, but smoking on the sidewalks outside the restaurants and clubs is still allowed as long as you are not in the outdoor eating area.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Boston has been pretty aggressive in regard to smoking. This latest action would regulate electronic cigarets which currently are not controlled.

Smoking bans seem to have gotten established relatively easily in most places, but I was curious about a place like STJ. Seems to be an idea whose time has come, everywhere.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

As a former smoker, I know the pleasure of a smoke and a drink at the bar (if I could have "just one" with a beer today I would but I know I can't) but also as a former smoker, I am glad to hear it is being enforced as I now know how unpleasant it is to be exposed to second hand smoke.

When we visited Virgin Gorda, we both were still smoking. It was interesting to see how strictly the ban was enforced in one spot yet completely ignored in others.

We were at one outdoor bar (totally open, only a roof) and my husband walked about 25 feet from the edge of the bar to smoke. The bartender told him he would be fined if a cop spotted him.

Then we went to Leverick Bay for Jumbie night where EVERYONE was smoking, there were ashtrays on the bar and on all the tables as well as no smoking signs on every verticle surface. I asked the bartender about it and she just shrugged it off and told me not to worry about it, go ahead and smoke.