Trip Report #6

Travel discussion for St. John
suzi

Trip Report #6

Post by suzi »

Sorry this trip is taking so long to report...I don't have enough time to get it all done in one or two sittings...guess I just want to "prolong" the trip and relive it!!!
Mon. Apr.8
this was one of my favorite days ( I say that after every day) I love this plan...go to Waterlemon early get there around 9:30/10:00 , spend a few hours there, and then go to Francis which is right down the road, and spend the rest of the day. We had a nice hike to Waterlemon. Maybe only 3 other little groups on the beach area. Found a spot, donned gear and away we went. Now in our past trips, the water has been crystal clear, but not so this time. don;t know why the water was alittle cloudy. the water wasn't particularly rough or anything. Okay...looking, looking, looking all the way out to the cay and seeing NOTHING!!!! Usually see lots of turtles munching in the sea grass. I was embarrassed for the girls'friend, because we all kept telling her how great this beginning was and how much we see oin the way out!!! NADA!!!
Well, we are all spread out now on the right side of the cay- I am on the far right- and there it is!!!!!!!!!! the biggest turtle I have ever seen!!!!!I shout for everyone( I hate to break the peacefulness, but there was no one else around) Our group swims over and we follow the "Granddaddy turtle" fro quite awhile!!! BONUS- there was a Remora tagging along AND a little shark ( I think) It sure looked like a little shark!!! That was a first for us!
We get around to the other side of the cay where all the starfish are...and guess what????No starfish!!!! Well, there were a few, but not like our past trips. In spite of the murkiness, and lack of starfish, I do love this side of the cay. the coral formations and colorful fish are beautiful I always feel like I am swimming in an aquarium here!!! On the way back to the beach we saw a few more turtles and a few sting rays.
We dried off, dressed and started our trek back to the parking lot, only to be treated by a visit from The Donkey Family- came out from the woods, looked like Mom, Dad and baby!!! the Daddy Donkey came right up to us, but we didn't pet him or anything. Baby was behind him and followed by the Mom. the baby was still all fuzzy, so I guess he wasn't very old.
On to Francis- found a spot with shade and set up camp. the water here is differnet color than the other beaches. Not better or worse, just different- a deeper blue, I think- but still so clear and calm- maybe because of the Mary Pt. on one side., It was so hot here today, had to keep going in the water to cool off. Snorkeled to the left around the rocks, teeming with fish. Later in the day, around 3:30 ish, Husband and I snorkeled out to the right...not along the edge, but followed the grasses out- HIGHLIGHT!!!!! We saw THE BIGGEST TURTLE under the sea!!! He had to be 100 yrs old! I kid you not! This one was even bigger that the one we saw over in Waterlemon!!! Now I am not exagerating her folks...his shell had to be 3 and 1/2 feel wide. It was truly unbelievable...and I didn't have my camera to prove it!!! THEN- we saw a ray just as big as the turtle- It was truly incredible! From then on, as we headed back to shore, we saw 3 more turtles, and 3 more rays... it was best day ever!!! and we truly hit the jackpot as a snorkeling day!!!
To top the day off, we had dinner at ZOZOs- awesome calamari,steaks, mahimahi, scallops.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

WOW!! What a fantastic day! Good for you :D
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

How great, Suzi! Sounds wonderful!

Thanks. :)
Genral

Post by Genral »

Excellent! I know whwere I'm goin' snorkling next time! Thank you very much Suzi!
No matter where you go, there you are.
suzi

Post by suzi »

Genral- the funny thing is- you could go to those exact places that I spoke about, all the great snorkeling, and there be NOTHING!!! Sometimes we go to a particular beach and I say to my husband " oh there is supposed to be really good stuff over here" or "" The message board said that there is great snorkeling over here" and we get there and there is nothing! I think it depends on the time of day , sea action, and moods of the aquatic life!!! Like Forest Gump said " ya never know what yer gonna get".
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Thanks for the next installment, Suzi! Don't worry about "dragging it out". It gives us something to look forward to!

When we went to Francis the only thing we saw was the fish darting in and out of the fry near the shore and a huge 'cuda. I snorkeled all along, in and around the right side (I didn't get too close to the rocks because of the current that day due to high winds). You just never know day to say.
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I love the snorkeling at Francis. We have been really lucky, and usually find a big turtle there. Last year we swam with one for about half an hour, it was so cool. For anyone heading there, look for the turtles on the right half of the beach as you are looking at the water. We have had the best luck finding turtles when we swim out near the buoys. We usually find rays closer to the beach.

Sounds like a great day, Suzi!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks for the great report!
It sounds like you had a great day!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great report Thanks
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for the detailed report on your snorkeling experiences. I am a "snorkeloholic" and I enjoy reading about other's experiences. We saw several turtles at both Waterlemon and Francis last year too.
Leaving on Sunday for 12 days on STJ - can't wait!
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Suzi,

Congratulations on a "most excellent" snorkeling adventure!!

Don't you just love Francis (shhh!)!!

Hope we meet up with your "wicked huge" turtle in just a few days!

From one April Birthday Sue to another - Happy Birthday!!!