transporting computers to Guy Benjamin School

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

transporting computers to Guy Benjamin School

Post by loria »

HI Forumites,
I have to ship or otherwise transport to Fort Lauderdale 10 old model Dell CPU's (these are circa 2004 or thereabouts so they are large) with monitors (thin) and keyboards--from there they wlll be put into a container and shipped to STJ to the computer /tech teacher at GBS who will repurpose them for use in the school computer lab. I am trying to figure out the most economical way of doing this--i think that they have a very limited budget to contribute to this effort and I can contribute some--but looking at what i need to ship ,i can imagine it will be pretty dern pricey....so does anyone have ANY ideas of how to proceed? where to look for options? or does anyone have any plans to drive from the NY/NJ/PA area to Fort lauderdale and feel like transporting a whole bunch of computers?

many thanks for any ideas.....

Lori
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

An idea to ship the computers stateside is use http://www.uship.com/ to gain bids, or in your case a donation or partial donation from a trucker traveling your desired route. At uShip, you post on their website your shipping needs and wait for bids. All posts are free.

I used uShip for quotes when deciding how to move our household from Phoenix to NC. We decided to do a self move because we snagged such a good deal on a truck rental.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I have no words of advice for you or info to share, but I wanted you to know that I think it is great that you are making this effort to help the kids on St. John!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
loria

Post by loria »

puddlejumper--that's a great idea--i will check tht out
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Make sure you look for certified companies. I would avoid the ones without DOT #'s.