Hats!

Travel discussion for St. John
obsessedmuch

Hats!

Post by obsessedmuch »

Yes, yes, another "fashoin thread."

I've always been a ballcap girl but I've seen so many pictures here and elsewhere of people in their cute vacation hats (or maybe you wear them all the time). Of course, this question probably goes mostly to the ladies but guys might have some ideas, too.

So where do you get your cute beach hats?

Whenever I try on a hat, I feel like I can't pull off the look- maybe I just need to find the right one for me?

Thanks!
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I know I seem to get EVERYTHING summer from J Crew, but they just work for me. I love J Crew hats!! :D
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

I bought some cheap ones from Kohl's. The straw type hats do not travel well. I also got some visor dealies. I got made fun of for my tourist hats. I don't care. I wish soceity in general would still wear hats. It would be great for bald people as well as us girls not wanting to deal with bad hair days :D
When will I see St John again?
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Obsessedmuch, I too am more of a ballcap girl. I have found though that when looking for other types of hats, like for the Oaks or Derby, I have to try on a lot of them to see what looks best on me. I could never order one without being able to see it on.
That said, I'm probably just taking ballcaps to St. John.
Image[/url]
MrB

Post by MrB »

mrsb wrote:I bought some cheap ones from Kohl's. The straw type hats do not travel well. I also got some visor dealies. I got made fun of for my tourist hats. I don't care. I wish soceity in general would still wear hats. It would be great for bald people as well as us girls not wanting to deal with bad hair days :D

Didn't I buy you one of those hot-chick-in-paradise mock cowboy straw hats at Mongoose Junction last year? Wear that tonight when I get home. 8)
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

My island hat is a ballcap, but not just any ballcap. It's a brown "Life Is Good" hat with a pink heart in the middle (I'm sure that symbolizes Love City) and I had "STJ" embroidered on it. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I love that, B-as-u-r!! I often wear a "Life is Good" hat, but it's not personalized. I love it, though, green with flip-flops.
Image[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I love my the beatings will continue ball cap I get a new one every time down. It keeps the juniors in line and guessing :lol:
Tom
MrB

Post by MrB »

For me...on cloudless days, it's my white St John cap. A few clouds, my blue St Thomas cap. More clouds, it's my riversmallies.com cap. (home on cold days, I have a white Marco Island cap my bro-in-law got me that is thick and keeps me head warm)

And they are all caps....not the trucker type, but non fitted baseball types. I have a suede fedora type that has seen better days and has since been retired, but that was for hiking only.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I have a wonderful wheatstraw hat with a big brim that I bought at the Renaissance Faire from a woman who weaves them herself. She said it can get squashed and all you have to do is soak it in the sink for a little while and set it out to dry and it goes back to its original shape. I don't really want to squish it to find out, but I think it'll travel well as carry-on (if I just don't forget and leave it on the plane!) :roll:
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Thanks, all! Maybe I'll be on a hat quest this weekend.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I'm a visor girl myself. I got my first one at Lake Powell many many years ago (it's long gone now). I've collected them from lots of places. My favorites I got on Bonaire, Lake Powell and Palm Springs.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I usually just wear my old Red Sox hat. It is so bleached out by the sun and the snap is all rusty from wearing it in the ocean but I still like it.

That said, I got a really neat catalog in the mail the other day that has some cool hats and other good beachy stuff in it. I am definitely ordering some of their capris plus a pair of surf shorts for our day sail, and might get one of the bucket hats. Website here: http://www.athleta.com
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
MrB

Post by MrB »

CafePress is a great place to get really original caps. They will do the designs that they have done for others, or your own design. The site might be hard to navigate, but the list of caps is HUGE. I'm thinking of getting one for Bushwood Country Club ;)
Judge Smails wrote:Gambling is not allowed at Bushwood, sir, and I never slice
http://www.cafepress.com
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

VickiH wrote:I know I seem to get EVERYTHING summer from J Crew, but they just work for me. I love J Crew hats!! :D
Ohhhhhh J.Crew hats. I never thought of J.Crew for hats. I know I have a problem.

I also have several life is good ball caps - the yellow w/ flip-flops and lavendar w/ the yoga chick. They are great for the beach!