Amsterdam

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Amsterdam

Post by Anthony »

My wife and I are getting our first real few days of vacation without our kids since we were married and our oldest was born (14+ YEARS AGO!!!). While family is here during the holidays we are spending 3 nights in Amsterdam. I am definitely seeing the major museums - but any other cool tips, great places to eat, must sees? The flower market, Anne Frank house, etc. any opinions on these places?

I am assuming this well traveled group must have some insight. We are still without a hotel too - if anyone has any budget ideas please chime in.

Thanks!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
loria

Post by loria »

hey Anthony,
a college friend of mine is living in amsterdam, i just wrote to hr to ask what she would do with three days -- i will post back when i hear from her-
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

loria wrote:hey Anthony,
a college friend of mine is living in amsterdam, i just wrote to hr to ask what she would do with three days -- i will post back when i hear from her-
Great - thanks!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Ha I was just coming to post almost the same thing as Loria, one of my high school friends lives in Amsterdam. He actually has two daughters that I think are right around your kids' ages too.

I'll ask him what he and his wife do on their kidfree evenings.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Here is feedback from my friend:

Unfortunately, Dutch cuisine is an oxymoron. That said, there are a few decent places in Amsterdam: Bojo for Indonesian has always been a fav of mine. Japan Inn for best sushi. The Supper Club is also very funky and very good food. So three off the top of my head.

Museums: Anne Frank and Van Gogh. Tell them to go early as the lines get long fast. Flower market (in Amsterdam? Or the one where you get up super early and there are the millions of flowers getting prepped to be shipped around the world. That's a bit outside of the city) is pretty, but nothing so so special.
Visit the Jordaan neighborhood especially Bloemengracht area.

Hope that helps a little!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

another vote for the Anne Frank museum. Get there early.

I went in college so I don't remember much in terms of details but I did love the Anne Frank museum.

The Red Light district has become a tourist trap so avoid it.

I remember a walk though a really quiet neighborhood that ended at a windmill. COuldn't have been far from the center of it all cuz we were on foot and staying at a hostel.

We really enjoyed walking around the squares as I recall al lot of street performances. We really enjoyed ourselves.