Cinnamon Bay Baresite Advice Needed

Travel discussion for St. John
Chris S

Cinnamon Bay Baresite Advice Needed

Post by Chris S »

I just reserved a site for later next month. This is all new for me to fly in solo and bare bones camp so I would like some advice on what i'm getting myself into.

I have camped a few times so I have an idea but everyplace is different and I would like to go prepared

Also, I got a great flight price if I stay 3 weeks. But I cant stay on the same site that long because they're booked so she said she could jump me around to whats available. Are there any other baresites on St John? I see Botanical Gardens is now closed.

Thanks,...Chris
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We stayed at a Baresite#56 in June and loved it. We took pretty much just what we needed (the basics)but did rent a lantern from the Campground, they have other items as well..take bug spray..and of course a Flashlight..we even took battery operated fans..We took twine to rope off the camp site to keep the donkeys out...but we never had a problem with them..we saw deer and a few Iguanas. Make sure you have something to keep your food in that will close tight...keep critters out while you are away..
As far as other places to camp...we had thought about going over to Jost to Ivans and camping a cpl of nights then back to Cinnamon Bay, He has cottages and baresites I believe, that might be an option for you.

There is a store on site but it has limited items and limited hours..so does the Restaurant (The Tree Lizard) You might do better to go into Cruz Bay and get the things you need. If you are not getting a jeep you can hitch hike or there are always pretty much taxis available. I would at least get one for a few days while you are there..for trips to the store..and to see the rest of the Island..:)

Have you been to the Forum at Cinnamonbay.com ?
Lots of info there as well

Maybe some of the others who have stayed there will chime in...:)

Several of the forumites on here have stayed there..one in particulair that comes to mind is this report:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=10228

We are booked for June again this yr...and I am thinking we will get a baresite again.

I think you will love it..as long as you dont mind camping...:)
[/url]
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Thank you so much for your input!! Jost...I didn't think of that. If I can swing it I just may do that.

Ivans... That's down the beach from the Soggy,right? We stayed a few nights on Jost at the Perfect Pinapple. Great Island :D

I have a jeep the first and last day, just to get my baggage where it's going. I'm renting a motorcycle the rest of the time to cut cost. This is a solo trip on a budget.
silands

Post by silands »

We have stayed at Cinnamon four years now and the bearsites are just that nothing nada but you have the time of your life, nothing like hearing the ocean when you wake up and going right out to it. Make sure to bring a flashlight and like JJShaw said I would make a trip to town, the Tree Lizard is not much to write home about and the store either but they will get you going for a couple days. Over the years we have "up graded" to the cottage more like a car port,it's all good your on ST John after all :D :D
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Chris,
Vie's has baresites and I think Trinidad Charlie may have one. What the woman probably meant though was you will move around the campground.
We stayed in one of their tents when we stayed but spoke to a lot of people in the bare sites. One piece of advise we got was to never put you tent over a spider hole, unless you have a tarp under your tent. I Don't like spiders so I remember that.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Thanks, I'll give Vie's a call too. I knew that about just being bumped around the campground but I figured if I end up staying the 3 weeks I might want to break it up and try camping other areas.

I didn't think about the spider holes. I'm glad I posted on here.
parafins

Bare site

Post by parafins »

Back in May I stayed at site 54.I wanted 60 or 61 before I was on island,but when I walked up the hill to site 60 I changed my mind and went with 54.I was hoping for a view,but got none with 60.I loved my site with the ocean so close.The bathrooms were close and clean,but remember to wear sandels or shoes go to and from.There is some type of thorns in the sandy path.I used sturno for a stove and it work well heating up a can of soup or coffee.{Folgers singles worked very well for coffee}I bought a foam cooler from the store along w/ ice.I was not a fan of the boat rental outfit there,try Maho for that.I stayed a total of 3 nights at Cinnamon,and then moved to Maho Bay Campground for the rest of my stay.Cinnamon in May was $32 a night,and Maho was $60 a night for a single traveler.Maho blew me away!Ithad this killer view of Whistling Cay from my tent.It was the highlight of my trip.I never needed a jeep at Cinnnamon with all the trials and beach around me.Taxi's are there if needed.Please try hiking up to American Hill ruins.The views of Maho Bay are priceless.Have fun! Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Another good tip is take a tarp for overhead if you have room in your luggage. One large enough to go over your tent and table, etc...so you won't be confined to the tent during the rainstorms. Though Jan is usually a pretty dry month, so it may not be a problem. You may get lucky and Cinnamon won't have to move you around as often as you think. I was told a couple of years ago that I would get moved and didn't. I'm heading down at the end of January. See you there! 8)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Sun4MySoul wrote:Another good tip is take a tarp for overhead if you have room in your luggage. One large enough to go over your tent and table, etc...so you won't be confined to the tent during the rainstorms. Though Jan is usually a pretty dry month, so it may not be a problem. You may get lucky and Cinnamon won't have to move you around as often as you think. I was told a couple of years ago that I would get moved and didn't. I'm heading down at the end of January. See you there! 8)
I had forgotten about the tarp...we took one...but our site already had 2 one for a "floor" and one over head...I wish I was going at the end of the month...*sigh* Have fun !!! :)

more pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnjshaw/sets/
[/url]
parafins

Camping tip

Post by parafins »

One other thing:If you stay at Cinnamon or Maho you may not need a jeep.Taxi's are avalible there.At Vie's or Charlies,you will need a jeep and that may be a cost factor for you.Also I mailed down a package of supplies directly to Cinnamon,then picked it up at the office after I checked in.Cinnamon charges $5 to hold the box.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Thank you everyone!! great advice here.

I called Vie but no reply yet. It would work fine to just jump around Cinnamon. This is a zen trip more than a pleasure trip.

At Cinnamon, is there a common area for charging things like cells and cameras?
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

There are electrical outlets in the bathrooms for sure. Maybe in the dining pavilion..? I am unsure about that.
parafins

charging

Post by parafins »

I used the bathroom outlet for my razor and cell phone.The bathroom near my site was not used by daytrippers,just campers.I know there was a bit of risk involved.The office may help you out as well.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Fairly certain the dining hall has electrical outlets and Sun4MySoul is correct in that the bathroom at the far end doesn't really get daytrippers and I've left my camera batteries plugged in for a few hours and they've been fine (always a risk, however).

Really no need to rent a vehicle to get to and from Cinnamon with your luggage. I have hauled two large pieces packed with camping gear from the ferry to Cinnamon by taking a taxi.

I've been up on the hill last trip and got moved down close to the beach after 3 or 4 days when a spot opened up. Very private up on the hill but honestly as a woman solo traveller I didn't feel perfectly safe up there all alone.

Setting up in a downpour with darkness quickly approaching sucks (been there, done that!) so hopefully you'll score a site with a tarp over it already. I've been hit and miss on that one.

Also, do check out Ivans for camping. Stay away from the campground on Tortolla. Totally run down and rather desserted.
~Brenda~