Honeymoon beach - beware!

Travel discussion for St. John
Ken

Honeymoon beach - beware!

Post by Ken »

I figured you guys would love this story. On our last full day in St. John, we decided to make the 20 minute hike from Caneel to our favorite beach - Honeymoon. With kids, stroller, cooler, camera, etc. (you get the picture). We were there at about 9:30. I took this picture from where we were sitting shortly after we arrived:

Notice how quiet and peaceful this was? We had the whole beach to ourselves for about an hour or two. I should have taken a picture of what happened next.

Two or three huge catamarans arrived and disgorged about 100 snorkelers right in front of us. Most came ashore and plopped down directly between us and the water. There were (I'm not exaggerating) at least 50 people on the beach within 100 feet of us. It was absolute chaos. I'm still laughing about it today as I think of it.

Warning!! If you go to Honeymoon beach expecting tranquility - arrive early and leave when you see the cats motoring in. Or hang around an enjoy the humor.

Ken
VaDavid

Honeymoon beach

Post by VaDavid »

Hi Ken, the day that I hiked down to the beach and was looking for Salomon I found the cat already there. When I figure out how to include the photos to my report I will include a shot that shows what you reported.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yup, I think the catamarans arrive at 10:30. That's why the day we went to Honeymoon we got there by 8 AM. We basically had the beach to ourselves for a few hours. When we saw the catamarans approaching, we packed up and hiked over to Solomon. The catamaran people were snorkeling on the area connecting Honeymoon and Solomon, so we just stayed on the other side of the beach. It was all good!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We understand what you experience since we witnessed something similar in '05. We were at Salomon beach and decided to snorkeled over to Honeymoon. When we snorkeled over we snorkeled into a large crowd of snorkelers (if you could call them that) off of a catamaran. Most of them were completely inexperienced with snorkeling and sort of took over the area, but they were all enjoying themselves, which was cool to see. We snorkeled back to Salomon for a little less crowded beaching experience.
Bob & Anita
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

We're never bothered by the catamarans. It all depends on where you park yourself. And we're normally there three times during any one stay.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I remember when we first started visiting St. John in 1992, you could stay at Honeymoon Beach all day and only see 3 or 4 other people.
One of the last times I was there, I saw someone from a catamaran tour on the far right-hand side of the beach put on their fins and snorkel mask and then walk with the fins on ALL THE WAY to the other end of the beach. It took a while.
-Ruth
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Same thing happened to us last week. In 2004, we'd gotten there at like 7:30 and had the place to ourselves. Last week, we hiked from town on the Lindt Point Trail. We stopped at Solomon first and had it to ourselves. then, me being me, I got us lost on the trail and we ended back at Solomon...15 sweaty minutes later. When we got to Honeymoon, it was teeming with people. Of course, teeming meant like 25 people. If someone too me on a cat to Honeymoon, I'd be cranky. If you can walk to a beach, you don't need to take a boat from Cruz Bay there! Plus, the snorkeling is only so so as compared to other locations!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Most of the Cat's come over from STT for a day trip - but it is always amuzing when you hear of someone booking a day trip on a Cat leaving out of STT (and they are staying on STJ) for them only to be taken to Honeymoon :lol:
RickG

STT Snorkel Trips

Post by RickG »

When the North swell is up in the Fall I've seen the snorkel trips go around to the South side and anchor off of Ditleff Point. It's frustrating to hike into a beach and then get over run.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Wellll...pretty deep subject, isn't it?? :lol:

Anyhoo, I've only been to Honeymoon Beach, twice, via a catamaran, while doing a day sail from STT over to STJ. That's as far as I've ever gotten on STJ soil and I have to say that I/we LOVED it so much that we are now going for a luxurious 10 days!! So Thank You Honeymoon Beach!! And I already know that it is not going to be long enough and that my time for the WOW will happen too soon. :cry:

But, having had said that, I can't wait to show our son Honeymoon Beach as it is one of the most Awesome places in the entire world. Or at least one of the most Awesome places that I have ever been to. :)
Coden
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Coden wrote: But, having had said that, I can't wait to show our son Honeymoon Beach as it is one of the most Awesome places in the entire world. Or at least one of the most Awesome places that I have ever been to. :)
Wishing you one "The-most-awesome-places-ever" discovery after another when you are on STJ.
Bob & Anita
Ken

Post by Ken »

Coden, all of St. John is beautiful, but we really love Honeymoon. We keep coming back as it is still one of our favorites, and we've seen most of the island. Have a great trip.

We also thought the snorkelling between Solomon and Honeymoon was excellent. The reef was teeming - Hawksbill turtles, eels, schools of fish, beautiful coral. It was all there and it was beautiful.

Ken
bobcside

OH MY GOD

Post by bobcside »

Imagine some inferior sole(s) trying to enjoy what you and yours are enjoying!! How uterly rude of those people. But then again think of what the " Natives " must think of YOU infringing on THEIR piece of paradise. Try to keep in mind folks that these are OUR Islands and not YOURS.. Step back and listen to yourself sometime. I think in your heart you don't really feel the way you sound. We all walk this earth with the hope/desire of being able to enjoy the splendor of nature as only these incredible Islands can bring. After all, someone chose to share them with you. NO?
Just another perspective..
BOB
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx Bob & Anita!! (((HUGS)))

Ken - we were at Honeymoon last October and I could only be a Swimmer as I didn't have my Nifty prescription snorkel mask at that time. This time, I will be one of the snorkelers in-between Soloman and Honeymoon and I can't wait!! Woo-hoo and Yippee!!!
Coden
Ken

Post by Ken »

Good post, Bob. Sorry if I offended you. But I figured that from what I have gleaned from this board over the past 2 years, many people go to St. John to find peace and quiet on the beach - not everyone, but many. The point of the post - Honeymoon beach will not be this place between about 10 and 2. Nice thing about this info - you can take it or leave it - entirely up to you.

Ken