Dinghy Day

Travel discussion for St. John
lisa mcg

Dinghy Day

Post by lisa mcg »

Doing a dinghy day in Feb and wondering where to go for lunch. Was thinking Caneel but don't want to be chased out or made to feel unwelcome. Any advice or suggestions?
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Are you doing a whole or half day in the dinghy? I'd go to Deli Grotto before you start and grab some sandwiches, drinks, and a loaf of their awesome bread. Then I'd just eat it on the boat, tied to a mooring ball somewhere and relaxing in the sun.

That's what we did on our last trip (too long ago!) and what I plan to do on my next trip (also Feb!)
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Whole day:) Deli Grotto is definitely an option...thought it would be nice to stop somewhere and I've never been to Caneel.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Only 4 choices that I am aware of: Caneel, Trunk, Cinnamon, or the walk of death up to Maho camp restaurant. On second thought, there is a snack shack at sea level at Maho.

On our dinghy day, we packed lunches in a soft shell cooler, tied up at a mooring ball at Henley Cay, swam to shore and had lunch at the picnic table. The whole island to ourselves :)
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Ditto on packing a lunch and Henly Cay...it will/might be your own private island and the snokling is some of the best.

Go to Canel by car and take a hike to Honeymoon and after have a few $10 drinks in the beach side bar to take care of your parking fee.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

We packed a lunch from Deli Grotto and some beverages and had a wonderful picnic on Little Cinnamon. We were all alone!
LisaRex

Post by LisaRex »

Good afternoon. This is my first post to these forums. My husband and I, and another couple, are traveling to St. John from 1/29 - 2/4/12. I had actually planned a Dinghy Day, so this topic interested me.

For those who have done this in the past, do you need reservations, or do you just show up at the dock when you want to go? I'm reticent to make reservations too early just because I may not want to go if it's rainy or the water is choppy.

We were thinking of renting with Cruz Bay Watersports. Is that what others have done?

Thanks for your input. Glad to be here.
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

We always make it around to Francis. It's always calm even when everything else is rough. If you get the small dinghy, you can pull up on the beach, no problem. It's also a nice snorkel. We usually see a turtle or 2 around to the right from the beach.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

LisaRex wrote:Good afternoon. This is my first post to these forums. My husband and I, and another couple, are traveling to St. John from 1/29 - 2/4/12. I had actually planned a Dinghy Day, so this topic interested me.

For those who have done this in the past, do you need reservations, or do you just show up at the dock when you want to go? I'm reticent to make reservations too early just because I may not want to go if it's rainy or the water is choppy.

We were thinking of renting with Cruz Bay Watersports. Is that what others have done?

Thanks for your input. Glad to be here.
Hi LisaRex and welcome! You will love STJ and you'll get alot of great info here.

I'd call ahead at least by a day or so while you're on island rather than just showing up. They may have plenty of availability but I'd hate for you to be disappointed. We rented from Calypso. http://www.calypsovi.com/dinghy.html They have a center console so they're very easy to steer. But I know other people do fine with the rear outboard engine dinghies too. Have fun!
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Love our dinghy days!

We've rented from Calypso (center console) twice..great to work with.
We've packed our lunch in a cooler & tied up at mooring balls: once at Francis/once at Trunk..what a view!

Have fun!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Thanks everyone....I think a packed lunch is the way to go here. We are renting from Calypso and are very excited! I assume they give you some sort of map before you take off?
Pia

Post by Pia »

Or you can just book through me with no extra charges of course as that is what I do :)

Pia
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Already booked....sorry Pia....am only a second timer to St John and didn't know. Next time, I promise!!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

No problem :)
hairman

Post by hairman »

Try cinnamon bay...they have a place to eat and bar.