Aqua Bay Villas

Travel discussion for St. John
jayseadee

Aqua Bay Villas

Post by jayseadee »

Anyone familiar with this property? Where is it exactly? Is it new?
janet
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I am positive it used to be Mahogany Tree Villas...we stayed there our first visit. and it is not far from Frank Bay..just up the hill..It looks like it has been renamed and refurbished...We were very dissapointed when we arrived...the pics looked nothing like what they had at the time on the website...they showed Gallows on their homepage..I did a trip report on it here as well as TA with pics...We thought we were getting a Villa..based on the homepage at the time..it is not..its units...HOWEVER... with that being said..and to be fair about it..its looks like it has been updated with new furnishings and looks very nice...probably a new owner and I think it was for sale at the time we were there..we stayed at the one called L'isle Amour...I think it was called Carib Sea....definetly you can walk to Cruz Bay...kinda spooky after dark...but I am just that way...we enjoyed being close to Cruz Bay...but wasnt happy with the accomodations they had at the time..I have pics on TA..[/u][/i]
[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

JJ is right that they used to be Mahagony Tree. New owners and it does look like they have been updated. I think the location is a great and I would stay there if I was looking for a budget friendly spot that I could walk to and from town.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Ahhh - Mahogany Tree. They do look nice on their website. I was considering Gallows for this trip as we haven't stayed there before and do like being walkable to town, but then ran across this on VRBO.

I agree with the "spooky after dark"; we've stayed in the Frank Bay area before and always carry a small flashlight.

When you say up the hill from Frank's Bay, are they on the same road as Gallows around he bend? Going toward Battery Hill? (coming around the bend from Gallows you go straight up the hill or right down the hill to Frank bay).
janet
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

My husband and i have stayed there twice and really enjoyed it and would stay there again in a heartbeat ! It's reasonable , close to town ( not a scary walk lol ) has a pool, grill and full kitchen . The owners are fromm the Cape and are super nice . For the price you cant beat it !

Barbara
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

I forgot you go down the hill to frank bay take the left and it's half way up the rd ....sea grape rd i think it is
allisonemarino

Post by allisonemarino »

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Aqua Bay Villas in January 2012. We stayed in the L'Isle Amour villa, which was bright and beautifully decorated. We also really liked the location - away from the crowds but a five minute walk to the Beach Bar. The owner, Leslie, is very professional and easy to work with. Here's a link to my blog which mentions our villa and how much we enjoyed.

http://eatsleeptravel-1.blogspot.com/20 ... adise.html
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

thank you b&b and Allison. I will definitely take a closer look. We love being able to walk to town.

Nice report Allison - thank you for posting the link.
janet
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Was spooky to me...(after dark while walking)... :shock: and yes up the hill from Frank Bay...Im thinking Ruth lived just on the corner from there at the time...:)
[/url]
Coden

Post by Coden »

We stayed there for 2 weeks August '11 and loved it. We were in the Azul la Mer unit and it was perfect for the two of us.

It was a bit warm in the kitchen dining room, living room though, until the property manager brought us a box fan for the kitchen. After she brought that, it was perfect.

After returning hoome, I mentioned to the owner that the old gas stove puts out a lot of heat via the pilot lights and that if they would change that stove out it should stay cooler in the kitchen. She said that was a good idea, not sure if they did it or not though.

I would stay here again, we loved the area, always felt safe, and, the walk back and forth to Cruz Bay was not bad at all, once we got used to going up the hill. Ha!
Coden
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Right next to Palm Terrace. Short walk from town, but it is an up down up. :)

cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Enjoyed your blog. It would be nice to be able to walk into town.
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Janet, Karin and I stayed in one of the unit's (at Ruth's recommendation), I believe Dophina, before this past SOTB trip. I really liked it and didn't think the walk was a big deal. So, just past gallows, down the hill, take a left and about half way down the street. I can't comment on the pool, as we weren't there long enough. I'd def stay there again!!! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Janet, Karin and I stayed in one of the unit's (at Ruth's recommendation), I believe Dophina, before this past SOTB trip. I really liked it and didn't think the walk was a big deal. So, just past gallows, down the hill, take a left and about half way down the street. I can't comment on the pool, as we weren't there long enough. I'd def stay there again!!! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"