10 Days to Coral Bay: Pack and Repack and....

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

10 Days to Coral Bay: Pack and Repack and....

Post by Xislandgirl »

10 days to Coral Bay

About a week ago I started packing. It was a random time to pack but as a fellow forumite may tell you, I was enjoying a beautiful spring afternoon and celebrating the weather with a few adult beverages and well…you can make up the rest!

I started with every pair of shorts and at least a dozen shirts, a half dozen dresses, and every bathing suit I own.
Then I sobered up, I mean smartened up, and pulled everything back out of the bag. I arranged by color and pulled out the items that are in the color minority. Then I looked at everything trying to pack clothing that will mix and match well.
Then I tried to make a mental plan for each thing I plan to do and what I will wear for those plans. Is this insane? Yes, it is, but it is just the process my brain goes through.

I have stepped away from the bag for now. I will resume the madness this coming Sunday when I will pull everything back out again and realize that I have way too much stuff. I will then whittle it down to the bare minimum and next Friday at 8pm realize that I do not have enough and throw random things in the bag. Nothing will match and I will have 17 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts.

When you see the girl on island with the dirty plaid shorts and a shirt that doesn’t match, please buy me a drink!
PA Girl

Re: 10 Days to Coral Bay: Pack and Repack and....

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote: Is this insane?
If so, count me in as crazy - I make charts.

I don't like to take more than I need but I also don't want to do laundry either so I sit down and plan out what I can wear when and how often. Along the lines of "I can wear this white t-shirt to dinner and then to the beach the next morning...."
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

Your packing plan sounds perfectly reasonable to me, wish I was there to buy you that drink.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I keep 2 bags packed all the time one to go to STJ and another for most other last minute trips. It is a habit I got into when I worked road service for 20yrs never new from one moment to the next when I'd be headed to the airport to go put out someones fire some place
Tom
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Hahahahaha!!! That cracked me up big time because that's me too! The good part is that once you get there it doesn't really matter WHAT'S in your suitcase. The villa will have a washer and Skinny Legs will have T-shirts and I usually give up on the shorts after a days or two anyway and just the the T -shirts over my swim suit and tie a pareo around my waist if I have to stop for groceries on the way back from the beach. I'm sure I look like a sun burned wild-woman who's escape from an asylum but I'm happy as a clam and the store clerks are still willing to take my soggy money. If you need someone to coordinate your wardrobe I'd be happy to come with you!!!!!!
pnoeric

Post by pnoeric »

Xislandgirl wrote:When you see the girl on island with the dirty plaid shorts and a shirt that doesn’t match, please buy me a drink!
you know it's so laid back down here, even if you do end up in the dirty plaid shorts and the shirt that doesn't match, don't worry about it ;-) seriously tho, don't sweat it! you're going to have a great time!
Eric Mueller (& John McCann)
Last Minute Island Vacation villa rentals
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

pnoeric wrote:
Xislandgirl wrote:When you see the girl on island with the dirty plaid shorts and a shirt that doesn’t match, please buy me a drink!
you know it's so laid back down here, even if you do end up in the dirty plaid shorts and the shirt that doesn't match, don't worry about it ;-) seriously tho, don't sweat it! you're going to have a great time!

You have much to learn about the folks on the forum, grasshopper! Sorry I have always wanted to say that.
I used to live on island, I am not worried, just randomly musing to keep my sanity until I get back!
pnoeric

Post by pnoeric »

Xislandgirl wrote:
pnoeric wrote:

You have much to learn about the folks on the forum, grasshopper! Sorry I have always wanted to say that.
I used to live on island, I am not worried, just randomly musing to keep my sanity until I get back!
hehe, I sort of figured it out after I posted that since your name is "Xislandgirl" :-) welcome back soon, then... :-)
Eric Mueller (& John McCann)
Last Minute Island Vacation villa rentals