Help! Should We Add A Hot Tub?

Travel discussion for St. John
Midas

Help! Should We Add A Hot Tub?

Post by Midas »

Good Evening! Now that our solar panels are up and running and our carbon footprint is less than zero (hooray!), we are considering adding a hot tub to our little piece of heaven that is Sun, Moon & Stars Villa! I would greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts on the importance of a hot tub in choosing a villa for your St John vacation. Thanks in advance for your help!
petepie

Post by petepie »

On the one hand, I love the idea of a hot tub, especially since your house looks like it's up pretty high where it might be chilly at night. On the other hand, it's a real bummer when you rent a house with one and it isn't working (seems to be a problem keeping them up and running correctly on STJ) and I'm kind of funny about hot tub cleanliness - the water has to look VERY clean for me to get in it.

Because of those two factors, I would not pay more or make a hot tub a criteria for my villa search, but would be happy if I found one that had a hot tub (for the same price as others with just a pool) and REALLY happy if I arrived and found that it a) worked and b) looked clean!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hi Midas,
We have rented several homes on Island that had hot tubs and have yet to use any of them. Neither did family that traveled with us a couple of times. But, to be fair...we also had a jacuzzi spa for 10 years and used it to death. Maybe that is why it wasn't important in our decision to rent a specific Villa. I know first hand how expensive it is to maintain one correctly. Pools are great for us if we bring kids or grandkids...but without them along we also don't need that so much. Spend all of our days at the beaches!!
:D

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Eh. Are you planning to raise your rates if you add a hot tub? If so, I'd say that you should skip it. At $2800 a week in the off season for a one-bedroom, no offense but you are already at the high end of the market for that demographic.

As far as a hot tub goes, I could take it or leave it. I can't imagine one ever being a deciding factor in a place we'd stay (though a pool is a deal breaker...as is a/c, at least in the bedrooms).

In nine trips the only time we've ever used a villa hot tub was at Sol Inclination, and it was a nice one...but honestly going in I didn't think we'd use it.

Scratch that, now that I think about it some people in our group used the hot tub at Bay Rum Breeze last year, I just wasn't one of them.

For us, we don't care either way.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

As long as the pool isn't cold, I would skip it.

I do have to agree that the rate seems high for a 1 bedroom. The pictures show that you have put a lot of effort into the property, but for us, that is way outside of our comfortable price range for just the 2 of us.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

petepie wrote:On the other hand, it's a real bummer when you rent a house with one and it isn't working (seems to be a problem keeping them up and running correctly on STJ) and I'm kind of funny about hot tub cleanliness - the water has to look VERY clean for me to get in it.
All of this. We rented two houses in the past with hot tubs and both were broken for our entire visits.

A hot tub isn't important to me and doesn't come into play when selecting a house. We had a hot tub at our prior home and I know what it takes to keep one clean and frankly, I just don't trust someone else to keep it clean.

I never thought I would dip a toe in a STJ until our last visit. The hot tub at that house was wonderful. Our friend (who also has one at home) tested the water and declaried it "safe" and we used it several times during the week. I was impressed to see the maintenance guy drain and scrub it as we were leaving.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I have a friend that has villa he had me come down to install it as he couldn't get anyone there to do it. It has been the biggest headahce of the whole property. But I love sitting in it with all the lights off and watching the stars at night.
Tom
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Speaking from experience (we have cabin rentals with 40 hot tubs to maintain!!) SKIP IT!!! Our area is known for them, but I would love to get rid of them if we could!!! But here they are a necessity to keep up with the competition, but on STJ, you have those gorgeous beaches and pools, who needs it?? We have had hot tubs at a couple villas we rented thru the years and have never used them.
djmom

Post by djmom »

The main reason I love hot tubs is that most pools are too cold for me.

Given that your pool is heated I would say it wouldn't add much more appeal to me, but I am sure it would be a PAIN for you. And I agree with the others if you rent a villa with one, you would be really bummed if it was broken while you were there.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I would absolutely add a hot tub. But I do not think you should raise your rates because of it. Personally, I would not rent a villa that did not have a hot tub. I like to vacaction in the winter and some nights may be too chilly for a pool. I much rather sit in a hot tub and have a drink (or two!).
Jenn, News of St. John
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Wow! You must have a giant array of solar panels - a battery bank that fills a small room - and a huge cistern and plenty of rain - to have a " less than zero carbon footprint"
Running A/C, a heated pool and pump, all those electronic amenities and just the normal lights and appliances on just solar panels is an accomplishment to be very proud of - and having no cloudy days to contend with is a bonus.
Why not add a hot tub if you are never buying power or water.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Personally, I've never seen the need for a hot tub on STJ. The last thing I want to do in 80 degree weather is sit in a tub of hot water! Plus, there's the cleanliness factor...I just won't use a "public" hot tub, the idea grosses me out. If you were renting a house in the mountains or someplace where it gets really cold at night, I might reconsider, but there's still the "clean" factor. I'm not a germaphobe, but I just don't trust that all villa owners keep their hot tubs extra clean.
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I have seen and taken part in previous posts discussing hot tubs. The idea of getting in a public hot tub that lots of other people have used for God only knows what is gross.
Save your money. I think a lot of people share my view.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I could care less about the hot tub either way...and if I do rent a villa with one, I don't step a toe into it...Just too much bacteria. My kids use and love them.

Come to think of it...a pool is not an absolute either! Matter of fact...I hardly ever get in the pool. I can get in a swimming pool at home any day. growing up in Cali, I'm a beach girl 100% Give me the ocean baby! My kids love the pools though and would be sad if our STJ villa didn't have it. We do a split stay between STJ/VG and stay at Guavaberry on VG where there is no pool, no hot tub, no tv...they love that too so I've conditioned them well.

I just think Hot Tubs are questionable and not necessary.
Ready2Go

Post by Ready2Go »

Honestly I do not prefer a hot tub. However my husband really likes them since he has some type of ailment with his shoulder, he really likes to have acces to one when we are traveling. So even though I don't get in much he enjoys just sitting in one and relaxing as much as he can, so I normally try to look for a place with one when we travel. However if we don't have a place with one its not the end of the world either