Where on Honeymoon is this located?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Where on Honeymoon is this located?

Post by PA Girl »

I just read this in the Tradewinds this morning -

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... moon-beach

Where on Honeymoon is this located? I don't remember seeing an old building there? What was it used for in the past?
Steve S

Re: Where on Honeymoon is this located?

Post by Steve S »

Sure, it's on the left side of the road as you come down the last hill from Caneel. Good to see it is fixed up. However I'm not thrilled that this will likely bring more traffic to one of our favorite beaches :(
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Hmm, since it is a Caneel concession, will money spent here count towards the $20 parking?
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Good Question! Also, when Caneel is closed, will the concessions and restroom facility still be open? I am assuming it won't be.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
sail445

Post by sail445 »

mit43 wrote:Good Question! Also, when Caneel is closed, will the concessions and restroom facility still be open? I am assuming it won't be.
When Caneel is closed it's the off season and there probably wouldn't be enough customers to keep it open.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Steve S wrote:Sure, it's on the left side of the road as you come down the last hill from Caneel. Good to see it is fixed up. However I'm not thrilled that this will likely bring more traffic to one of our favorite beaches :(
I just can't picture it but then again, I have't been to Honeymoon many times either.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We saw them fixing up the beach house when we were at Honeymoon last month. I was interested to read in the Tradewinds that the building was used as a watersports concession about 30 years ago.

More information from Caneel's blog:

http://caneelbayhoneymoon.blogspot.com/ ... s-new.html

According to the Caneel blog, the concession is going to be open year-round, not just when the resort is open.

I am not sure but am guessing that money spent here won't count towards the parking charge since VI EcoTours is a seperate business from the actual resort.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Oh great....our new favorite quiet beach from last year potentially ruined....first Maho with the expanded parking, now Honeymoon.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We were just there on Thursday. We hiked from Cruz Bay to Salomon and then snorkeled over to Honeymoon. There was only one couple at Honeymoon so the $20 parking fee appears to be working, if the goal was to keep out the riff raff :lol:

From the water the rental place is on the far left side of the beach, set back into the woods.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
sail445

Post by sail445 »

cliffnchristi wrote:Oh great....our new favorite quiet beach from last year potentially ruined....first Maho with the expanded parking, now Honeymoon.
I agree they totally ruined the natural surroundings of Maho Bay with the parking lot with the excuse of erosion. Maho gets a bit eroded every year when there is a storm and then in2-3 weeks it's back to normal . I've been going there since the mid 60's and it hasn't changed
The US National Parks are turning St John into a nature Zoo.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Steve S wrote:Hmm, since it is a Caneel concession, will money spent here count towards the $20 parking?
If this, lifted from that blog, is correct, I suspect it does count towards the parking if you do the following -

Hungry? Thirsty? Caneel Bay Resort provides hourly cart delivery service so that you can indulge in their phenomenal food & alcoholic drinks, and orders can be placed at the new Watersports Hut at Honeymoon Beach.

I can see how the $59 per family locker, beach chairs, floats, kayak, boards, etc would be a draw for the STT day trippers.

We did the Caneel Eco tour with this company in February and it was very nice, perfect for younger kids.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Steve S wrote:Sure, it's on the left side of the road as you come down the last hill from Caneel. Good to see it is fixed up. However I'm not thrilled that this will likely bring more traffic to one of our favorite beaches :(
That's not all - the VINP are planning on paving the trail from Cruz Bay to Soloman and Honeymoon !!! Let me know if anyone wants to sign the petition once it is up and running

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
sail445

Post by sail445 »

Teresa_Rae wrote:We were just there on Thursday. We hiked from Cruz Bay to Salomon and then snorkeled over to Honeymoon. There was only one couple at Honeymoon so the $20 parking fee appears to be working, if the goal was to keep out the riff raff :lol:

From the water the rental place is on the far left side of the beach, set back into the woods.
Just one flaw in your analogy. Riff Raff don't have cars
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

Whats the point of a HIKING trail thats paved?????
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

sail445 wrote:
Teresa_Rae wrote:We were just there on Thursday. We hiked from Cruz Bay to Salomon and then snorkeled over to Honeymoon. There was only one couple at Honeymoon so the $20 parking fee appears to be working, if the goal was to keep out the riff raff :lol:

Just one flaw in your analogy. Riff Raff don't have cars
Eh, I don't know, my husband and I have been to STJ 10 years in a row now and we always rent a car and Caneel Bay has always been out of our budget. We used to park there when there was no fee but now it's keeping us away. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder if we count as riff raff or not :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain