Ferry to JVD?

Travel discussion for St. John
Myheart'sinSTJ

Ferry to JVD?

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Hi all-I wanted to know if anyone has any experience taking the ferry from STJ to JVD recently for the day? If so, how was your experience? cost? We have chartered private boats several times but this time we are attempting to do it more economically, any info is much appreciated! :)
54b

Re: Ferry to JVD?

Post by 54b »

Been about one year since my wife and I took the ferry to JVD, but I'm pretty sure it's still about $65 per person (including customs fee) and the ferry leaves the national park dock almost directly across the street from Morgan's Mango on STJ around 8:30am...when we went, it was Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only, so you'll need to verify available days and times...I think it runs more often during high season.

That said, we thought the ferry was a great option since we were overnighting on Jost at Ivan's Campground...we left STJ on Friday AM and returned on the Saturday afternoon ferry (3:30pm) from JVD back to STJ. So we had about 36 hours on island.

By comparison, if you only did a day trip from STJ to JVD, you'd have about 5 good hours on island (between 9:30am and about 3pm)...remember this, YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE LATE for the ferry back to STJ. It is one of the few things in the Caribbean not on island time. When they say ferry departs at 3:30pm, they mean it.

Long story short, 5 hours is certainly enough time to do some shopping in Great Harbour, eat lunch at Foxxy's and spend a few hours at White Bay limin at Soggy Dollar Bar.

I'd say if your only goal is to experience JVD, then the ferry is a good option. If you like the freedom, flexibility and added value (snorkel stops, Sandy Spit, front door service, more time, etc.) that a private charter offers, I'd go that route.

Hope that helps.

PS. One more tip, get the phone number of your first cab driver (cabs meet people at the dock in the morning)...you'll need cabs to get between Great Harbour (where the ferry dock is) and White Bay and you'll probably want to pre-arrange your cab back over the hill if you'll be at White Bay leading up to ferry departure.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

We are planning on being there the 3rd week in October. I figured up how much the ferry over would cost and I came up with around $75. When I looked up the ferry schedule times it showed them still running thru the week, now I'm wondering if that will change since it will be low season. Can anybody verify if they change the schedule to run only on Friday, Saturday & Sunday? We are coming in on Sunday and leaving on Friday so this would ruin the plans of going over to Jost for us.
My Heart is in St. John!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Vaca,as with everything else in the Islands, it's a good thing to check.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

yes, definitely will be checking as it gets closer to time. Would really love to check in with Ivan again but it may have to be next trip, :(
My Heart is in St. John!
Connie

Post by Connie »

vacagirl wrote:yes, definitely will be checking as it gets closer to time. Would really love to check in with Ivan again but it may have to be next trip, :(

You can always check with Foxy. :D
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

54b- Thanks for the info, we have been to JVD several times, alway being the last stop of the day and it seems we NEVER spend enough time there so I thought taking the ferry would make the most sense. Is it possible to hike from Foxy's over to White Bay is would that take to much time?

vacagirl- We will be on island 9/29 through 10/6 so will try to get the exact ferry schedule and will let you know.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Myheart'sinSTJ wrote:54b- Thanks for the info, we have been to JVD several times, alway being the last stop of the day and it seems we NEVER spend enough time there so I thought taking the ferry would make the most sense. Is it possible to hike from Foxy's over to White Bay is would that take to much time?

vacagirl- We will be on island 9/29 through 10/6 so will try to get the exact ferry schedule and will let you know.

Even though it's a very short taxi ride, I would never walk it...it's a killer hill. It was 5.00PP.....well worth it. Same on the way back.

It's such a great way to hang out at Jost. The people watching is excellent, the food is good and the view is beautiful.
brenda

Post by brenda »

We have done it several times and will be going by ferry again this November. Looks like the cost is $70 plus a $5 departure fee. Don't remember doing that before, but maybe too many painkillers, :lol: . Although I wish the time there was a little bit longer, it will still be longer than if you stopped on a charter. We are on a budget this trip and it the best way to get there cheaper. Also, I wouldn't do the walk to White Bay either. Too hilly and hot and would take up too much time. As was mentioned $5pp each way is well worth it. We always arrange for our taxi to pick us up at White Bay at 2:45pm unless you wanted to stop at Foxy's on the way back. It's really not too exciting there during the day unless you wanted to have lunch or get some souveniours. As mentioned, that ferry DOES leave on time! Have fun! I think it is a great way to go to Jost for less :) . I think that ferry has been running more than Fri/Sat/Sun for a while, but it is best to check. Get there a half hour early in the morning to fill out customs forms and bring a pen
Going "home" again October 26th!
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

I guess we were unlucky the day that we went, the ferry was an hour late picking us up on JVD! :lol:
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Thanks all for your input, definitely will do the taxi for 10.00 rt. We are on a budget this time, traveling with 2 newbies so I want to show them as much as possible in a week. We will need a vacation after our vacation :D
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

You don't have to walk over the hill. There is a little path that goes along the water. It is maybe a 5-10 min walk. Wear shoes because it is rocky, but it's easy peasy... :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

STJChica...the path you're refering to is on White Bay and heads from Sandcastle/SDB over to Ivan's. It is indeed easy & rocky. The earlier comments pertained to the hill between White Bay and Great Harbor which is truely a bear!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

You are right..it's been a few years. Forgot we dinghy'd over...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
54b

Post by 54b »

Myheart'sinSTJ wrote:54b- Thanks for the info, we have been to JVD several times, alway being the last stop of the day and it seems we NEVER spend enough time there so I thought taking the ferry would make the most sense. Is it possible to hike from Foxy's over to White Bay is would that take to much time?
Definitely worth the cab fare as the other posters have advised...I'd say that "hill" between Great Harbour and White Bay is similar to Jacob's Ladder over on south shore road on STJ (the steep hill that starts just after Pine Peace Market) and maybe even a bit bigger.

And we too had been to JVD many times and lamented having to leave early in the afternoon to make it back to STJ to get through customs. So we thoroughly enjoyed the overnight...it allowed us to spend a lot more time on White Bay and also experience Foxxy's legendary Saturday Night BBQ buffet. We stayed at Ivan's, which was like going back to summer camp with the non-A/C cabins and community showers, but it was an adventure and made for a good story.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow